Kodak 500T 5218 vs. 5219

Hey all!

What are your thoughts on 500T in Vision2 5218 vs. Vision3 5219?

I will be doing a single shot in a church and thus I require a lot of overall contrast and deep blacks. The chapel inside the church is quite big and it will be lit with a few Xenon or PAR's blasting through haze. Without having readings taken I know that I will be limited with illumination, so 500 ASA film stock is a necessity.

The 5218 is cheaper, but obviously slightly grainier. I am not too concerned about grain and no DI or direct 35mm print will be involved. It'll be a standard telecine transfer in Fotokem in L.A.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Ben Brahem Ziryab

if grain isn't an issue, then go with the '18. Did you check the price of the 5230? It may be about the same and will be fresher stock with the look you described. It is a lovely stock, I highly recommend it.

The 5230 has a wonderful quality to it and might very well be the right stock for the shot. I just can't find a good deal on it. Kodak charges like 230 dollars for 400ft of film (being used for one shot only). I do get 30% discount from Kodak as a student, but it's still little too pricy. The 5218 recanned will run me 60 dollars + shipping for 400ft.

Any ideas where I can get short end's of the 5230? Maybe call Kodak or Fotokem and ask them if they have some?

a thing to consider is that you are only buying 400 feet, correct? If so, you won't get that big of a deal, but then again you won't be spending that much. I would look to recans of current stock.

I already ordered it. 400ft for one shot is more than enough. I might get a couple of 1000ft rolls for a short film, if I like what I see.

Edited by Ben Brahem Ziryab