Renting In NY

Hiya,

This May I will be flying to New York for the first time to shoot a couple music videos. I'm required to find a rental house with the camera equipment we need and relatively low rate (haha). I've never rented in NY before so I'm hoping that ya'll would be able to help me out! I'm looking for a RED MX package or ALEXA package. I'm pretty open to lens suggestions but I'd prefer to use something older to cut down on the sharpness of the cams, perhaps something like lomos, old cooke panchros, super speeds, or something along that line. Alternatively, I haven't shot masterprimes/s4s before, and that might be a fun, completely different option to try. So, i suppose, to sum up, I would be extremely grateful if those with experience renting in NY could tell me the best places to find the aforementioned items and that have the fairest deals for 3/day weekend rentals.

Thankyou very much!

Evan

PS

Yes I have been searching the internet, I haven't found a heck of a lot besides Adorama, Abel Cine, and Sim Video. I feel like I'm looking in all the wrong places. There must be some cheaper rental houses or film co ops?

They're a little more serious (and a little more expensive) but a near-top-shelf option is TCS (http://www.tcsfilm.com.)

HandHeld Films has a lot of gear but Alan cuts every rental a 10-15% discount. Make sure your 1st is thorough, though.

Du-All Camera is also an option.

Let me know if you're looking for G/E rentals, as well.

• Premium Member

There is also Borrowlenses.com (or rentlenses.com) which I have been using recently on low-budget gigs to get lens sets on the fast/quick for vDSLR shoots, but they also offer PL leneses. They also offer cameras, Epic, Scarlet, if memory serves, and their prices aren't that bad.

Du-All is a great shop, and I often go through them for 35mm gear/lenses- both their Ultra Primes and S4s have served me well.

The Lighthouse is based in NJ (central NJ) (http://www.lighthouselights.com/) and they have a wide selection of G/E stuff and good people there as well.

There is also Borrowlenses.com (or rentlenses.com) which I have been using recently on low-budget gigs to get lens sets on the fast/quick for vDSLR shoots, but they also offer PL leneses. They also offer cameras, Epic, Scarlet, if memory serves, and their prices aren't that bad.

Du-All is a great shop, and I often go through them for 35mm gear/lenses- both their Ultra Primes and S4s have served me well.

The Lighthouse is based in NJ (central NJ) (http://www.lighthouselights.com/) and they have a wide selection of G/E stuff and good people there as well.

Du-All looks like an incredible option for film shoots. Wish I could convert the producer to go with the 35-III and S4's instead of the EPIC and RPP's :(

Thanks for the suggestions everyone