Understanding D-Min for 16mm.

Just got some older color negative stock back from the lab. I had a 400 roll of Kodak Vision 500T, 320T and 250D tested. The results

500T: R=.42, G=.96, and B=1.37 ND=.65

320T: R=.38 G=.85, and B=1.28 ND=.60

250D: R=.50 G=.86, and B=1.12 ND=.69

What do these numbers mean? Should I overexpose? Underexpose?

Just looking at the 500D, the last graph on this data sheet

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/5263_ti2517.pdf

shows what the densities should be on fresh stock.

0.30 is 1 stop of density, your clip test has rather more than 1 stop more density than it should have, so you need to over-expose by rather more than 1 stop.

The difference in the red is about 0.2, green 0.4 and blue 0.4. The differences in density don't matter too much, they're dealt with in grading.

I'm sure you'll get some better advice soon.

typical RGB readings on any of those stocks should be 14-20 for R, 50-65 for G, 84-100 for B. Red is the outer layer and looks to be totally shot for those stocks you have, meaning they'll produce a variety of uncontrolled results from a faded, grainy, desaturated picture, to not rendering much of an image at all. If you're shooting something a little experimental, they try it, but that stock really belongs in the recycling bin to be quite honest.

typical RGB readings on any of those stocks should be 14-20 for R, 50-65 for G, 84-100 for B. Red is the outer layer and looks to be totally shot for those stocks you have, meaning they'll produce a variety of uncontrolled results from a faded, grainy, desaturated picture, to not rendering much of an image at all. If you're shooting something a little experimental, they try it, but that stock really belongs in the recycling bin to be quite honest.

I will be converting the footage to black and white in post production. So does the RGB really matter?

• Premium Member

I will be converting the footage to black and white in post production. So does the RGB really matter?

to make B&W you combine all three colours, so if the stock is has gone grainy you will get extra grain. if the colour ballance is too far off it will look like you used a random B&W filter. OTOH, any colour shift will not matter in B&W.

to make B&W you combine all three colours, so if the stock is has gone grainy you will get extra grain. if the colour ballance is too far off it will look like you used a random B&W filter. OTOH, any colour shift will not matter in B&W.

The lab said I should overexpose, but since I am shooting mostly night ext and int, and I have a lens that only goes f 2.2, would adding more light be effective?