first movie is a road movie

Guest Areti

Hello everybody.

I'm about to start shooting a short road movie (about 20minutes). after discussions with the director we decided to shoot it using entirely natural light. 80% of the scenes inside the car will be shot with natural light using the canon 5d mark II. So do you have any experience on shooting inside the car while it's moving? we're also using canon lenses, 70-200mm f4, 24-105mm f4, 35mm f2 and 16-35mm f2.8.

thanks, Areti.

Edited by Areti

I would suggest you watch a bunch of other road movies to get some shot ideas. Inside the car gets old without a variety of shots from outside the car. Bonnie and Clyde, Easy Rider, Motorama, Paper Moon, My Own Private Idaho, Even Cowgirls get the Blues, La Strada, etc.

I would suggest you watch a bunch of other road movies to get some shot ideas. Inside the car gets old without a variety of shots from outside the car. Bonnie and Clyde, Easy Rider, Motorama, Paper Moon, My Own Private Idaho, Even Cowgirls get the Blues, La Strada, etc.

Yikes! Wheres is Thelma and Louise on that list?

Although Ridley cheated and had an open top car. ;)

love

Freya

Get some ND's and/or a polarizer so you can avoid high shutter speeds. Stabilization is key, especially with DSLR as every sway will introduce rolling shutter that will be enhanced with most high shutters speeds.

You'll need plenty of cards too since it seems you won't be offloading so long as you're driving.

A camera light could help too.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a driving scene yesterday on dslr strangely enough. Id highly recommend a suction cup camera mount [a cheap one would suffice, the one i tested worked superbly and it only cost £8], it works fantastically for attching to the windscreen for frontal shooting on the charchters. I don't think you would get away with the 70-200mm or 24-105mm on the suction cup mount though [unless you find a more heavy duty one than mine]. Im looking over the footage now and its extremely stable to boot.

ari is right bout the cards, you will need high capacity ones, and extra batteries [but that applies to any scenario]

Edited by Mark McCann