New Bladerunner Confirmed

Rex Orwell

bladerunner.jpg

Original Blade Runner writer Hampton Fancher is in talks to pen an idea for an untitled sequel to the classic sci-fi film for director Ridley Scott and studio Alcon Entertainment.

Alcon and Scott are mum on plot details but they confirm that the story will be set “some years after the first film concluded,” according to a statement released Thursday.

http://www.filmindustrypro.com/index.php?/topic/166-new-bladerunner-confirmed/

Scott can be seen talking about New Bladerunner in an interview given to LA Times here.

• Premium Member

Spoilers abound:

If Deckard is a replicant, surely he'll be dead "some years after the first film concluded", so an Indy 4 scenario seems largely redundant.

All I'd do, either way, is drop down on my knees and plead with whoever does it to do it just the way they did the first one. Don't turn it into an action movie, and don't use CG except for the big city flybys. I can't (or rather, painfully, I can) imagine what Blade Runner would have been like as shot by Michael Bay, with some cheesy greenscreen behind every doorway and a plasticised CG background dropped in.

All I'd do, either way, is drop down on my knees and plead with whoever does it to do it just the way they did the first one. Don't turn it into an action movie, and don't use CG except for the big city flybys. I can't (or rather, painfully, I can) imagine what Blade Runner would have been like as shot by Michael Bay, with some cheesy greenscreen behind every doorway and a plasticised CG background dropped in.

Agreed.

People don't know when to leave well-enough alone.

It was Scott's work in the first place so we can't really say this. Had some other bloke decided to tamper with it in the late 90's / early 2000's I'd wholeheartedly agree with that.

It was Scott's work in the first place so we can't really say this. Had some other bloke decided to tamper with it in the late 90's / early 2000's I'd wholeheartedly agree with that.

No, he still has a point.

George Lucas?

So let's hope Jar Jar Binks doesn't make an appearance.

^ True.

Scott's gotta have more integrity than that surely.

I guess a really good indication might be Prometheus. And whilst I've seen all of the marketing material and trailers I still think it could be a close call.

Edit - Jar Jar Binks gets a really bad rap incidentally. For me it was the catastrophic casting of Anakin Skywalker. I totally see where people are coming from though.

Edited by Rex Orwell

• Premium Member

Spoilers abound:

If Deckard is a replicant, surely he'll be dead "some years after the first film concluded", so an Indy 4 scenario seems largely redundant.

Not necessarily. The 4 year life span was deliberately engineered in. Once the replicant was fully grown it couldn't be reversed, but there was no reason a replicant wouldn't live longer if it was grown that way from the start They weren't sure whether Rachael would live longer than that, and maybe Deckard was designed the same way.

The other problem is, how do they reconcile all the clunky 1980s computer technologies with the fact that this movie would have to be set in the 2020s? :rolleyes:

Re; The 4 year life span, it's data pulled from one and uploaded to another. I'd imagine.

Films like Ghost In The Shell have been here if you're talking about exhausting where that takes you.

Nice... Getting to put that up. Top 20 stuff.

Edited by Rex Orwell

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Original Blade Runner writer Hampton Fancher is in talks to pen an idea for an untitled sequel to the classic sci-fi film for director Ridley Scott and studio Alcon Entertainment.

Alcon and Scott are mum on plot details but they confirm that the story will be set “some years after the first film concluded,” according to a statement released Thursday.

http://www.filmindustrypro.com/index.php?/topic/166-new-bladerunner-confirmed/

Scott can be seen talking about New Bladerunner in an interview given to LA Times here.

Well I hope that Sean Young gets a part. Maybe someone should pass along the casting info so she can show up in latex with a whip! Meow! Meow!

• Premium Member

No, he still has a point.

George Lucas?

Exactly. Let's not forget, Scott is also doing Prometheus, the prequel to the orginial Alien which he also directed. I'm looking forward to it, but I doubt it will even come close to outshining the original.

Just because the same guy is at the helm of a prequel or sequel of one his own works doesn't mean he is incapable of ruining the original classic.