recent trailers

David Mullen ASC

Good work David! I just renting northfork again last night and watched it again. While the story still don't make much since to me, the Cinematography is so amazing. It's amazing you did'nt get an oscar or at least nominated for one.

As to DEBS and When do we eat, all nice looking films. Although a big throwback from the cool blue look and wide panaramic shots on Northfork.

But I dont think a nice cool blue look and panaramic shots would fit DEBS to much.... Or When do we eat for that matter :) .

As always, keep up the good work!

PS) I would have to say to-date, Northfork is your best film yet! But I'll hold final judgement till I see some of your new ones out on the big screen.

PS) If any of you wanna see a walking, talking, ummm breathing version of David, and have not already done so. Flip in Northfork DVD and go to the bonus area. In the "Bare Nuckel Filmmaking" thingy David is featured for about 40 seconds yelling something about needing more fog. ITS AWSOME! Thats the first time I ever saw David, apart from his picture on this forum. B) :rolleyes:

YOU'DA MAN DAVID!!! ;)

Ok, I'll shut up now![/size=1]

Edited by Landon D. Parks

Thanks for sharing the trailers,

It was interesting how you handled the high key hollywood comedy style.

When do we eat - looked like it was anamorphic??? Maybe my viewing screen was just poor. It would be nice to hear what lens it was if it was anamorphic, becuase I didn't think they were alvailable for HD. At least I don't know of any.

• Premium Member

They were both shot in 16x9 24P HDCAM (Panavision) framed for cropping to 2.39, and transferred to 35mm anamorphic for prints.

I'm sure it will be awhile before another project as visually interesting as "Northfork" comes along...

Hi David

Was the anamorphic stretch for your films done in the IP-IN stage or was it recorded out "digiscope". I don't know if other labs than Digital Film Lab in Copenhagen offer that service?

I have been looking such tests for a film I did HD recently and find that the digiscope can be sharper.

All the best.

Marcel

• Premium Member

It's quite easy to digitally crop & stretch to a 2X anamorphic squeeze before recording out to film -- I don't know why anyone would do it afterwards optically unless intercutting with spherical film footage before it's been blown-up to scope. Originally, "LOTR: The Fellowship of the Rings" was done that way -- only about 70% of the film used a D.I., so it was recorded out to a Super-35 IN, intercut with non-D.I. Super-35 negative, then an IP was made, and then it was optically blown-up to an anamorphic IN.

Yes, my HD movies framed for scope were digitally converted before being recorded out. So far, it has been, in terms of labs doing the recording to 35mm:

EFILM: Jackpot, D.E.B.S.

Alpha Cine: New Suit, A Foreign Affair

FotoKem: When Do We Eat?

All except "A Foreign Affair" were transferred to 35mm anamorphic.

Guest fstop

Wow, DEBS is one horrible, horrible movie! Like Amy Heckerling pretedning to be Kevin Smith doing a Cody Banks movie/Alias episode BAD... I notice the director is behind the new Lindsey Lohan Herbie sequel- I can only hope David declined the offer to shoot it (DP is special effects comedy pigeonholer Greg Gardiner).

The photography however is obviously first rate- all you HD naysayers, take note that it is the artist and not the tools that makes beautiful cinematography. Great work David- it's just a shame all the clearly good movies (Northfork, Shadowboxer, Akelee and The Bee) are still being shot on 35mm.