Interest in 3d on the wane

Freya Black

I think the format has had a rough chance with all the post-conversions. The three films that I thought were shot and made well in 3D which out of memory have been Avatar, Hugo & Prometheus. I have so far liked those. I'm also looking forward to The Hobbit, Life of Pi & Gatsby (which I got some insightful experience on).

I feel like there's more potential for it, I'm not a complete skeptic of it being worthless.

I think the format has had a rough chance with all the post-conversions. The three films that I thought were shot and made well in 3D which out of memory have been Avatar, Hugo & Prometheus. I have so far liked those. I'm also looking forward to The Hobbit, Life of Pi & Gatsby (which I got some insightful experience on).

I feel like there's more potential for it, I'm not a complete skeptic of it being worthless.

It's wothless for me as I don't want to have to sit in a cinema and wear silly glasses.

The cinema experience is becoming uncomfortable enough already, I mean what next, installing church pews?

I want to have a good time at the cinema and to relax.

Don't think I will be seeing the Hobbit in 2d or 3d, it's starting to look preety awful from what I've seen so far.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

I think the format has had a rough chance with all the post-conversions.

Well, there are Post-Conversions that are obviously a "me-too" afterthought, and there are Post-Conversions that have been carefully planned that way from the beginning. The main problem with using twin cameras is pretty much the same problem of shooting 2K or 1080p - the 3-D effect you shot on the day is all you're ever going to have, just like the resolution you shot on the day is all you're going to have.

With good post-conversion, you get a lot more opportunities to "tweak" the 3-D effect. It's quite striking that in movies like The Avengers, a lot of the time there is no 3D effect, but you don't even notice, because they only use it when it would be noticeable in real life.

The three films that I thought were shot and made well in 3D which out of memory have been Avatar, Hugo & Prometheus. I have so far liked those. I'm also looking forward to The Hobbit, Life of Pi & Gatsby (which I got some insightful experience on).

Well, Avatar was almost completely computer-generated (well the memorable parts were), very little if any of Hugo wasn't CGI-ed, and although the 3-D and cinematography in Prometheus were adequate, it was generally just a crap movie as far as I was concerned, and it wouldn't have mattered how it was shot.

I saw a 3-D trailer of The Great Gatsby, and it was all "animated cardboard cutout" stuff. I don't know, maybe the entire film wasn't like that, but you can't blame crap 3-D on a poor trailer. It seems a strange choice for a movie like that.

• Premium Member

It's worthless for me as I don't want to have to sit in a cinema and wear silly glasses.

It's interesting to ponder whether sound would have taken off as quickly if it meant you had to wear earphones :rolleyes:

The cinema experience is becoming uncomfortable enough already, I mean what next, installing church pews?

If they think that will justify charging you more money, why ever not? :lol:

Its hard to say 3D is on the wane this soon into the post-Avatar 3D filmmaking era.

Just like Avatar was an important benchmark in 3D filmmaking, I think The Hobbit, with its faster framerate, will be another. Personally, I don't see more than one or two 3D films a year, but I'm not going to write off the public demand for it just yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, what I've read indicates that 3D is doing well outside of the US in countries like China and Russia.

Russia has had specialty stereo theatres since the mid 40s. & probably the best stereo film system, Stereo 70, a super 35 sized stereo pair in a 70mm frame.