so sick of people going on about Lens flare

Concentrate on making good films instead of wasting your life on lens flair.

That is all.

:-P

Every time I hear a director or DP say, "Man this lens is great. It really gives you that depth of field look" I wanna scream

I kind of agree with this. It looks nice but I’m sure there are other effects to make movies look good. Also yes, there is only so much a lens flare can do to forward a narrative.

Your opinion does raise interesting questions though, such as what other effects and cinematic styles are popular at the moment? How does this fashionable style compare to past preferences and effects, and how will it evolve in the future?

For example in all the old western films it was popular for the background to be focus as well as the foreground. Now its changed to having a shallow depth of field with the point of focus isolated. Where is it going to go next?

Twitter @pjscott89

Edited by PETER JAMES SCOTT

Also it would be nice to see some cinematography chat which isn’t about trying to make a film look all dark and sinister. How about we look at some sitcoms and talk about the DOP and photography on that? I’m sure there is just as much to learn of the set of ‘Friends’ or ‘Big Bang’ as there is to learn of the Spielberg and Ridley Scott Blockbusters. Just saying.

@pjscott89

Flares are mistakes. Sometimes they do look amazing and sometimes they look horrible. If it fits the story at the right moment and has some sort of visual impact then great. Otherwise they just don't cut it for me.