Fairly new Cinematographer..lacking MOTIVATION

Hello,

So lately I've been lacking motivation to perform in new projects, I have A LOT of ideas in my head for various creations but when it comes to actually DOING it, I feel unmotivated. My camera (Sony Cybershot DSC-HX9V) is good but doesn't perform as well as I would like to. And on top of that, my video editing program (Windows Live Movie Maker) isn't all that great either. I'm looking into buying a Nikon D4 in hopes that'll give me the quality I want...or is it that I just suck?

HELP PLEASE!

-TAMOI

• Premium Member

A camera shouldn't have to give you motivation. You have to motivate yourself, to work within the limitations which are imposed on you, and do the best you can. That is not always easy, and we all get into a funk on occasion. But if you cannot find the motivation, you should not be doing projects. You owe it to the director, the actors, and your crew, who are all busting their asses to stay motivated to keep yourself motivated. You are the commander of that crew, and you need to make sure the actors are ok, and the director is getting what they need. And if they sense your lack of motivation, trust me, it'll quickly spread .

This isn't to say you're always going to have it in you-- we reach our limits, and sometimes on a set we just loose it. What I am saying is if it's sustained-- you gotta step away.

A camera isn't going to give you motivation. I'd not spend money on it.

I don't know where your motivation comes from. Mine comes from 2 places, my failures as a DP/Person (all the thins I know I could've done better and that I'm not happy with), and the memory of my father and wanting to make him proud (also worked in film). You need to find that which is what first motivated you to get into this, and hold it in you when times get tough. Maybe I'm just insane-- but no matter how much I can be limping/bleeding/yawning/sore or how horribly the day went, what I do when I'm doing it is as natural to me as breath-- it is just what I feel I have always done.

Good luck my friend. Make a call, stick to it. You know you better than we do.

A camera shouldn't have to give you motivation. You have to motivate yourself, to work within the limitations which are imposed on you, and do the best you can. That is not always easy, and we all get into a funk on occasion. But if you cannot find the motivation, you should not be doing projects. You owe it to the director, the actors, and your crew, who are all busting their asses to stay motivated to keep yourself motivated. You are the commander of that crew, and you need to make sure the actors are ok, and the director is getting what they need. And if they sense your lack of motivation, trust me, it'll quickly spread .

This isn't to say you're always going to have it in you-- we reach our limits, and sometimes on a set we just loose it. What I am saying is if it's sustained-- you gotta step away.

A camera isn't going to give you motivation. I'd not spend money on it.

I don't know where your motivation comes from. Mine comes from 2 places, my failures as a DP/Person (all the thins I know I could've done better and that I'm not happy with), and the memory of my father and wanting to make him proud (also worked in film). You need to find that which is what first motivated you to get into this, and hold it in you when times get tough. Maybe I'm just insane-- but no matter how much I can be limping/bleeding/yawning/sore or how horribly the day went, what I do when I'm doing it is as natural to me as breath-- it is just what I feel I have always done.

Good luck my friend. Make a call, stick to it. You know you better than we do.

I can't thank you enough for that. I respect what you do & to receive relevant advice like this is very useful!

I agree with Adrian, owning new equipment is not the best source of motivation. I have picked up alot of new gear over the years and if anything, not finding practical use for it can become unmotivating. I sometimes envy times when I had less equipment and was forced to create a special image with what little I had to hand.

Heres a short I shot with a panasonic dv holiday camera with no manual settings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpVEhj522zU&sns=em

Im sending this not to blow my own trumpet but to hopefully help you think about what you have.

My strongest times of being motivated are long showers, cups of coffee and meeting creative friends.

Haridas