K3 in NYC

Rudy Velez Jr

Are there any good places to get a K3 serviced in NYC? Overhauled or just plan old checkoed out. I just got my K3 which I brought from eBay from Moscow and I noticed that when I presed the trigger on the camera the lens would look fogged up but then when I pressed the trigger some more it this fog would go away and then reappear. Also looking through the viewfinder there is like some minor black specs but I am lead to believe that is nothing but a sign of old age( made in 83 based on serial number). Does my lens need to be cleaned? Also my trigger is like loose? Can I tighten this or no? Lastly what are the types of lenses I can get for this camera. Yes I know I can mount any M42 type of lens to my K3 but what purpose would a: 50mm lens do? 135mm lens? 17mm lens? 24 or 25mm lens?

• Premium Member
what are the types of lenses I can get for this camera. Yes I know I can mount any M42 type of lens to my K3 but what purpose would a: 50mm lens do? 135mm lens? 17mm lens? 24 or 25mm lens?

The M42 lens mount was used for the Pentax and Practica 35mm SLR cameras. as such, the available lenes are always a bit "long" compared to the selection for a camera made for 15mm Movie lenses.

That said, the use of the various focal lengths are exactly the same. A 50mm is a Modest Telephoto on a 16mm camera, and longer lenses are even more telephoto like. You will want a good tripod if you try a 400mm.

The Soviets did make an 8mm lens which acts as a fish eye on a 35mm Camera but is supposed to be a fairly good wide angle on the Soviet 16mm cameras. the widest common lenes for the pentax were generally a 28mm or so, which is about the length that a Filmo might come with as its basic lens. (25mm is the norm for a filmo)

• Premium Member

..I noticed that when I presed the trigger on the camera the lens would look fogged up but then when I pressed the trigger some more it this fog would go away and then reappear. Also looking through the viewfinder there is like some minor black specs but I am lead to believe that is nothing but a sign of old age( made in 83 based on serial number). Does my lens need to be cleaned?

The image in your viewfinder is a reflection off a spinning mirror behind the lens. If the image is going foggy then clear it's probably because the mirror surface has some damage. It's actually polished aluminium rather than a proper mirror, and attempts to clean it can easily cause damage that reduce its reflectance. If you unscrew the lens you can inspect the mirror surface.

The other possibility is that the mirror isn't spinning flatly, so the image to the viewfinder will go in and out of focus (and seem to vibrate) as the mirror spins.

The expense of fixing either of those problems really isn't worth it for a hundred dollar camera.

The black specks will be in the viewfinder optics or on the groundglass, not the lens. They won't show up on the film itself. You can't really see how dirty the lens might be through the viewfinder. Excessive dust or fungus in the lens will just reduce the image clarity and contrast. If you unscrew the lens and hold it up to a light you can check how clean it is.

• Premium Member

Nope without knowing what type of filters are they B)

The K-3 sets I have seen on E-bay seem to come with filters for both colour and B&W shooting. I am not sure if the soviets had there own set of codes for the colours.

Typically they seem to come with the RED and YELLOW B&W filters (darken the sky to make clouds stand out) and what looks like an 85 (salmon coloured) used to shoot tungsten film in daylight. But I am not sure as I have not seen any up close.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...