Keystone cameras

Pavan Deep

Hi

I haven’t used 16mm for a while and I hope you can help, I am in the UK. I might use Keystone A9 16mm camera. I want to convert mine [when I get it, still waiting for it] to Super 16 can someone tell me if that’s possible and I don’t know if it’s double perf, if it is can it be converted to single perf.

Thanks

P

• Premium Member

I have a few of them, and most are double perf. I think the only single perf one I have is an A7 which needs cleaning and Lubrication. (All the Keystones I have collected need cleaning and Lubrication)

It should be possible for a good tech to make such a conversion. the lens mount is held on by 4 screws and so a new mount could be made to be centred. the gate is fairly thin so would be simple to cut out wider.

The question is why would you want to bother with a fairly inexpensive home movie camera?

I have used Super 8 cameras for years and I use them because they are easy and fun. I used to own a Scoopic 16mm, it was simple, but it wasn’t fun. I like the idea of using something simple, basic and making it fun. I also like a challenge, I know these cameras are old and basic and most professionals would just laugh at them, but when they work properly and used with modern film they can help you crate wonderful imagery. I read somewhere that the design is a basic sardine can, I don’t know if this is true.

P

I managed to modify a handcranked Model C from 2R to 1R in an hour using a hand file and emery paper - the sprocket is soft aluminium and easy to file. I did this mod in-situ as it can't be removed from the model C due to the riveted loop former. I wouldn't bother with super-16 modifications to these cameras, maybe Ultra-16 if you are keen enough.

Rob