The new RED 3-D laser projector

Keith Walters

• Premium Member

This is the first interesting thing I've seen on Reduser for ages:

Loom Online

Ironically the title of the thread is the name of a Ridley Scott movie which is apparently first cab off the rank for their new 4K 3-D laser projector system. The projector is surely far more interesting, but it's almost an afterthought.

The new system appears to use two separate light modulators so there is no left-right alternation (which is supposed to drive everybody batty, but I never really notice it).

In an earlier Reduser thread it was suggested that their new projector actually uses sequential R-G-B projection, and nobody denied it, but it seems a bit odd that they would use a cheapass technology like that on one hand, but use the added luxury of simultaneous 3D on the other.

When it's all said and done, despite the hype overload and fanboy static, the Red cameras weren't particularly revolutionary, (except for the price maybe), but this sounds really exciting.

I wonder how long before we actually see one in the cinemas?

• Premium Member

I read someone's initial preview of it (for the life of me i can't remember where) and they said it was quite disappointing, the blacks were really bad and muddy apparently. This was at some trade show, ill try looking for it again.

I've never actually heard that.

The only public showing of the RED projector I know about was at NAB 2012, but Reduser went dead silent on NAB this year.

I don't remember anybody particularly bagging the projector, but apart from the predictable Ooh's and Ah's from the fanboys, I don't remember anybody saying too much at all.

I can't see why the Red projector should be any worse or any better in that regard than any other design.

I've never actually heard that.

The only public showing of the RED projector I know about was at NAB 2012, but Reduser went dead silent on NAB this year.

I don't remember anybody particularly bagging the projector, but apart from the predictable Ooh's and Ah's from the fanboys, I don't remember anybody saying too much at all.

I can't see why the Red projector should be any worse or any better in that regard than any other design.

Ah yes it was NAB, I read it last week on engadget. The user comments of people there aren't exactly scientific but there seem to be a fair few that were not impressed. I'll wait for it actually be released fully though before making any judgements ^_^

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/redray-4k-cinema-laser-hands-on/

• Premium Member

Ah yes it was NAB, I read it last week on engadget. The user comments of people there aren't exactly scientific but there seem to be a fair few that were not impressed. I'll wait for it actually be released fully though before making any judgements ^_^

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/redray-4k-cinema-laser-hands-on/

Sorry, in the link you posted, they sounded fairly impressed, or are you talking about a different article?