Seats Du-All 8 Projector Speed

Matt Hira

Hello!

I just shot my first exposure test at 24fps for my new (well, still 40 year old) Canon 814 AZ. I also ordered this projector to play it on:

http://bit.ly/OTz4w0

Now, I just realized the listing never said anything about projection speed and the seller didn't know either. Does anyone have this projector? If so, can it play at 24fps or just 18? It was made in 1967, I might be mistaken but isn't that before 24fps became popular? It's my fault and I should have made sure first, but if I have to start shooting at 18fps I have to do another exposure test and everything. Does anyone know anything about this projector??!

Thanks!

Matt

It certainly won't run at governed speeds, but that slider in the base is probably a speed control. Silent projectors would often have one. It might go from about 14-24fps (it's a long, long time since I had one!) but the only way to calibrate it would be with a test shot of a stopwatch running, or the second hand of a clock.

Going to 18 from 24 is no big deal. Just open up 1/3 stop or so. Or the auto exposure will take care of it.

It certainly won't run at governed speeds, but that slider in the base is probably a speed control. Silent projectors would often have one. It might go from about 14-24fps (it's a long, long time since I had one!) but the only way to calibrate it would be with a test shot of a stopwatch running, or the second hand of a clock.

Going to 18 from 24 is no big deal. Just open up 1/3 stop or so. Or the auto exposure will take care of it.

Thanks so much! The stopwatch idea is brilliant! The person selling it said it had two speeds, normal and slow but you're right, maybe it's a dial or slider.

Thanks a lot!

Looking more closely, and seeing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxatkC1PjHc

your seller is right. It's normal speed, (which will probably be 16fps- it's dual-gauge, and the standard silent speed for 8mm. was 16, increased to 18 for Super-8) and slow, a few fps for reviewing. The slider is probably to change the aperture mask between 8mm. and S-8.

So it will run rather slow for your planned 24fps.

Could be a slightly different model.

Since 24fps is Sound Speed, you need to look for a Super8 projector that was built for sound movies. Not too hard to spot - even if the seller has no idea, the presence of volume/tone controls is the giveaway. Most of these are switchable 24/18fps, and most also have a speed trim control. Eumig, Elmo and Chinon/GAF are names to look for as they were the most active in this market, but not all models they made were sound capable.