American Cinematographer Mag Index??

Folks...

Does anyone know of a index to AC magazine? I went to AC's web site and emailed them a question to see if they had one for sale, but no one answered my email. They did not offer a index for sale in it's used magazine area. I would think that since this is such a great resource, film researchers would routienely search it for topics they are working on.

Does anyone know of a index I can look at or buy?

Thanks in advance.

jack in Portland Oregon

jhoneycutt@qwest.net

PS: Mostly I am interested in the 1950s, 1960,s and 1970s.

not that this is incredibly useful, but at the end of every december issue, there is an index for that whole year... tremendous help for me... hope it is for you.

-felipe.

PS - since i'm new to LA, is there a library that has all the AC back issues? my collection only goes back to 97/98.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Sure, USC, UCLA, AFI, CalArts, AMPAS, etc. all have bound back-issues. I usually go now to the Margaret Herrick Library of AMPAS on LaCienega & Olympic, being a more comfortable place to read than UCLA's SRLF, which is basically a storage facility that includes low-usage books and periodicals over a decade old. USC's collection is in Doheny I believe but that's not worth the drive for me, living on the Westside.

If you go to the AMPAS library, don't be surprised at the security restrictions. You can't take any backpack or pen into the library, so just take a pencil and some notepaper. You'll have to surrender your driver's licence and be issued a temporary library card. Then you go to the periodical desk, write down the issues or volumes you want to see (I usually get two years at a time) on a paper, and they pull it off the shelves for you. Nice reading room.

• Premium Member

I have to second David's opinion of the AMPAS library, and take this opportunity to thank him for telling me about this incredible place some years ago on this board and for his encouragement. The time really flies in that place, and I learned it helps to come in with a definite research and reading outline, or I'll get distracted. The staff is very helpful and friendly and so many repeated visits they get to know you on a first name basis.

• 18 years later...

I'm going to revive this 19 year old thread, because still there seems to be no index. Even a general Google search does rarely help, if I search for "[film title] + american cinematographer magazine". I did tests with films I know that are covered, but no results on Google.