Ballad of Jack and Rose

I just saw a screening of this movie.

I was curious what the film would look like projected in 35mm as it was originated in S16. I do not know if it was a straight blow up or if there was an HD or Digital Intermediate process.

I was actually impressed that for the most part it was perfectly passable. There was definitely more grain showing up than a standard 35mm movie especially on shot with a lot of solid color (shot of a sky or an out of focus shot of a green field).

I also noticed that while sometimes it seemed relatively sharp - often the image seemed soft. I am wondering what would cause that phenomenon. If the whole movie was soft, I would assume it was a technical limitation. Was it a cinemaverite style of shooting where they didn't measure the focal distance?

• Premium Member

Some of it is due to the same phenomenon regarding HD-to-film transfers -- the lower resolution means that wide shots can look soft yet close-ups look sharp. But I've also found with 16mm blow-ups that every mistake is magnified, so a focus or exposure mistake is more obvious.