Super 8 problems

Hello, I have just got my first super 8 film back from processing but cannot project it.

Basically, it won't feed properly into the threading slot as the perforations are on the wrong side. If I rewind it twice so the perforations are facing me (as demanded in the instructions for my projector) the emulsion (dull side) ends up being on the inside of the reel which I know is supposed to be on the outside?!? Could it be possible that the lab have put the film the wrong way around i.e. the leader should be on the other end?

Sorry if this all sounds confusing. I really want to see the footage I shot but cannot work out how to solve the feeding problem without damaging the film.

Any help and suggestions would be really appreciated!

Hello, I have just got my first super 8 film back from processing but cannot project it.

Basically, it won't feed properly into the threading slot as the perforations are on the wrong side. If I rewind it twice so the perforations are facing me (as demanded in the instructions for my projector) the emulsion (dull side) ends up being on the inside of the reel which I know is supposed to be on the outside?!? Could it be possible that the lab have put the film the wrong way around i.e. the leader should be on the other end?

Sorry if this all sounds confusing. I really want to see the footage I shot but cannot work out how to solve the feeding problem without damaging the film.

Any help and suggestions would be really appreciated!

Is it a standard 50' reel?

Either the reel is upside down, or the film was wound onto the plastic incorrectly, but I've never had that happen before.

Try running it through the projector while holding the reel separately with a pen, or chopstick, or whatever. Then rewind it correctly onto the original reel.

Thanks very much for your replies - I really appreciate it. If I put the film on the feed spindle the perfs are on the wrong side (on the right as seen from the front) and the emulsion is outside. I assume then that the lab have put the film on the wrong end? I will then just get hold of another empty reel and transfer it unless you can think of another way?

Many thanks again!

Sorry, yes it is a standard 50' reel.

Edited by Oscarmac

If the perfs are wrong but it's emulsion-out, then it is tail-out on the spool.

Just wind it directly onto your take-up reel. Then use the take-up reel as the feed reel. Then after projecting it, wind back onto another 50' reel.

Or if you don't have a spare reel, run the film off into a pillowcase to protect it, fix the tail to the 50' reel then wind it back on using the projector, keeping the emulsion out.