16mm Fuji stock for an 80s horror film

I will soon be DPing a short on 16mm. The film is a horror film made to look like a horror film from the 80s (the biggest influence has been Evil Dead II). Because Fuji will be shutting down soon, we get very good deal from their clearance.

But then comes the question of choosing a stock. The whole film is set indoors at night, which means I'm looking into different high speed stocks. The three I'm looking at is Eterna 400T (8683), which I can get for the best price or Eterna 500T (8673) or Eterna Vivid 500T (8647). Also, I've been recommending overexposing the 500 stocks and rating them at 320, would it be a good idea to rate the 400 at 250 then? I will also finish it digitally and do a grade there.

Gabriel. the Fuji Vivid stocks have a punch and great contrast . You are looking for a 80's look for your movie yes? in the 80's Kodak [which most films were shot on] still had that. Now no longer , but Fuji's Vivid range have captured that again so Vivid 500 is the one you need. Its a terrible loss that are stopping production of Motion Picture products . Good luck.

Gabriel. the Fuji Vivid stocks have a punch and great contrast . You are looking for a 80's look for your movie yes? in the 80's Kodak [which most films were shot on] still had that. Now no longer , but Fuji's Vivid range have captured that again so Vivid 500 is the one you need. Its a terrible loss that are stopping production of Motion Picture products . Good luck.

That was what I was thinking too (I like a lot of the Vivid stuff I've seen as well). Thank you for your help John!

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while since I supplied Fuji film for the "Leprechaun" series of films and such classics as "Dahmer"

The 8683 is probably the best deal, but if you are going to be blowing it up to 35mm, it may not be the best stock. If you are, then a 250T might be good

8673 might be the best option. It has a wide range and holds the blacks well.

If you need any quotes on film stock, please let me know. We supply both Fuji and Kodak film.

Richard Kaufman

Comtel Pro Media

richard@comtelpm.com

tel: 818-450-1122

• 3 weeks later...