Digital Bolex

• Premium Member

It's hard to have thoughts on a product not yet out. However, I will say I was very unimpressed with the footage I've seen off of the camera so far. At this point in the game, I'd honestly think it wiser to go with something like a BMD camera-- for the cost.

It's hard to have thoughts on a product not yet out. However, I will say I was very unimpressed with the footage I've seen off of the camera so far. At this point in the game, I'd honestly think it wiser to go with something like a BMD camera-- for the cost.

Are you referring to their short film?... Do you think they will accomplish what they say?.. The video previously posted was shot on the ikonoscop

• Premium Member

I am. And as for accomplishing it; I don't know. It's a lot of very nice graphic design at present, but actually making a camera in volume to a certain level of quality is a large undertaking even much better backed companies have trouble with (Ikonoscopic, Red, even BMD). Also, since Kodak is no longer in the digital sensor business, one wonders where they will get their supplies. I am not sure what happened to that particular Kodak entity aside from it being let go.

I do wish them luck of course, but in truth, I'm not holding my breath for anything breathtaking. We are approaching a point where the same price will get you a nice rig from the Sonys of the world. Just look at their NEX50EU, I think it's called. It's not RAW, mind you, but then again there is the whole question of whether RAW is the right way to go.

I digress a bit here, of course-- sufficient to say building things is much harder than building a website.

Does it make anyone else cringe ?

I get the fact that a lot of engineering mystique can be broken down into doable chunks by a (very very) committed team - the same 'commitment' that leads to these tautological, self-aggrandising, gen-Y um, I don't know what to call them.

warning - warning !

'Frustrated film-maker' ??

'punkist' ??

It feels like a mockumentary - 'Bruce Parker Kent' - even if it is his name and they're serious is not helping in that regard...

they need to release some footage from an actual production camera asap as everything from their prototype has looked pretty horrible IMHO.

I really want this camera to succeed; as on paper, at least, it looks like an affordable ikonoskop, but the more I read about it the less interested I become. For instance, not being able to play back and preview your footage in-camera in this day and age is nuts (and then going on to say "well we've omitted this feature as we want to recreate the 16mm work-flow" is a total cop-out)

Also, what's up with that hand crank? As someone who was forced to use clockwork Bolex's in college I find the idea of people being nostalgic for having to manually wined the camera at the start of every take just plane wired.

• Premium Member

The footage looked like "bad digital 16mm" if there is such a thing. If you're going to jump into the fray of digital, go with a sensor that looks more like 35mm like every other manufacturer is. I don't think they will be able to compete with this camera for exactly that reason.

IMO, it was dishonest to rig the security ccd camera to a pc/mac with capture software and call that "digital bolex footage." As an Ikonoskop A-Cam DII owner, I have felt these past months that this Bolex Dream Team has pretty much copy;pasted Ikonoskop specs without any given prototype or actual hardware. This is alarming to me and although I feel that it is inevitable that a similar 2/3" sensor mass produced in China will eventually suffice, the digital bolex fiasco has been up till now a bunch of empty or rather copied promises.

IMO, it was dishonest to rig the security ccd camera to a pc/mac with capture software and call that "digital bolex footage." As an Ikonoskop A-Cam DII owner, I have felt these past months that this Bolex Dream Team has pretty much copy;pasted Ikonoskop specs without any given prototype or actual hardware. This is alarming to me and although I feel that it is inevitable that a similar 2/3" sensor mass produced in China will eventually suffice, the digital bolex fiasco has been up till now a bunch of empty or rather copied promises.

Gabiel,

do you have some Ikonoskop footage to show?

Thanks!

the digital Bolex/ ikonoskop comparison is really interesting, the people behind the Bolex seem really keen to push this angle pointing out at every opportunity that they are using a Kodak sensor (just like ikonoskop), have a design where the camera can be used without a massive rig (just like ikonoskop)etc etc.

however, the bottom line is the ikonoskop produces really gorgeous footage but the digital Bolex in it's current form clearly doesn't.

Gabiel,

do you have some Ikonoskop footage to show?

Thanks!

My footage is on vimeo at: https://vimeo.com/user6409169 I'm pretty embarrassed though of these examples since this was all shot when I first received the camera. I had NO EXPERIENCE at the time with grading and to make matters worse, the shots were mostly not properly exposed as well as shot w/out using a grey card for WB. I'm going to take some random footage this weekend as I go bike riding down in DC w/ a macbeth card in hand, and using the built-in histogram to "more properly," set my exposure. And this time instead of using soley the Lightroom/After Effects combo, I will grade with Speedgrade and/or Davinci instead.

Edited by Gabriel Winebrenner