Light Meter

Alex James

Hi Guys,

I just need a little help with some light meters.

I have recently saw the Gossen Digi pro F for sale for a good price. Does this function have reflective spot metering?

Also are these meters any good for cinematography.

I cannot afford the higher end cine Sekonics or Spectra at the moment.

I was looking at the Sekonic Flashmate model L-308B or older Minolta Meters

What do you all think?

Kind Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I can't speak to the exact meters you've listed, however, I can say I've been extremely pleased with the Sekonic L-758cine .... is it pricey? Yes. But, the logic behind it is buy this bad boy once and you have an all in one calibrated do-no-wrong meter that will work for decades. It's an investment, and one well worth it, in my opinion.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/476493-REG/Sekonic_401_760_L_758C_Cine_Light_Meter.html

A lot of professional DPs and gaffers are super critical of the Sekonics and only use Spectras. Apparently the Spectra's incident meter is far more accurate and far superior and the spot meter on the Sekonic dual meters is sensitive to pollution and is really pretty garbage.

I couldn't tell from how many Sekonic dual meters I've seen in use, though. And I just love mine, though it gets no use anymore.

A used 558 would be fine and cheaper. Or a mid-grade Spectra. Everyone shoots differently, but for film an incident meter seems about all you need. Since digital clips so badly there's some merit to taking out the spot meter from time to time...plus for hard-to-reach places.

A lot of professional DPs and gaffers are super critical of the Sekonics and only use Spectras. Apparently the Spectra's incident meter is far more accurate and far superior

Sorry Joel, but you're going to have to back that claim up. All modern meters should perform within 10ths of a stop of each other. If they don't, you take them back and have them calibrated