ANAMORPHIC VS 35MM ADAPTER (TO GET DOF)

Hi guys, I'm quite new to this things and right now I was looking for a way to get a shallower DOF from my 2/3" camera (JVC gy-HD110u).

I know both things don't really do the same thing nor are used for the same purpose, ok. But as I am trying to get a little bit of a cinema look and reduce the DOF of the camera, maybe each one could manage that in its way, the 35mm adapter by getting the 35mm DOF and the anamorphic because of its shallow DOF.

So if anyone could help me understand how I can solve this problem and the pros and cons of each methode, I would be very thankful! :)

I would guess renting anamorphic lenses would be cost-prohibitive if you are just starting out.

35mm adapters are really an awful work around that, thankfully, are mostly obsolete since DSLRs have caught on. Even if you don't mind the grainy look of the ground glass, using one on a 2/3" chip makes back focus much more critical--I've seen many shorts with shots that were out of focus on one edge of the frame, and in focus on the other. They're a terrible pain in the butt.

Granted, some 35mm adapters were better than others (I believe Letus Ultimates were sort of the peak). I'm sure you could find a used one for relatively cheap.

If it were me, I would just use the smallest aperture and longest focal length possible. The 'cinema look' is more about how you shoot and light a scene.

If you must go with a 35mm adapter, learn it inside and out, it will probably be the most troublesome and finicky piece of gear in your kit. And if it looks like the adapter, lenses, and supports will cost more, consider a used 5D mark II and some decent lenses instead.

I would look into a Canon 60D. Then install the Magic Lantern hack. 60D is the same as the 7D bit screen flips out and has a dedicated mode for "film"

I'd also use older Nikon glass with an adapter if cost is an issue... you can get 50mm 1.4 for $75 on ebay

If you really need full frame wait for the 6D

• 2 weeks later...

I would look into a Canon 60D. Then install the Magic Lantern hack. 60D is the same as the 7D bit screen flips out and has a dedicated mode for "film"

I'd also use older Nikon glass with an adapter if cost is an issue... you can get 50mm 1.4 for $75 on ebay

If you really need full frame wait for the 6D

Solid post. I love the 60D and prefer it over the 7D for video work...Sensor is the same size and noise is very similar if not the same from the 550D to the 7D...the 6D looks VERY promising but a used 5D Mk.II is a solid choice...I've seen them dirt cheap these days. Although the 5D Mk.III does have the all I-frame compression which is very nice. Full frame is great, its basically like a mini-VistaVision camera but theres nothing wrong with Super35 sensors at all and sometimes full frame DOF gets a bit annoying.. Magic lantern is a must! The assists it offers for focus peaking, higher bit rates, custom frame rates, etc. are great...grab a viewfinder magnifier/loupe for the LCD screen though...makes bright sunlight a non-issue when shooting video in live view..all that and you'll have a great video machine.

Edited by Nate Opgenorth