Looking for info on EK prints

Paul Bartok

Until now I had never heard of a EK print or also know as a Showprint. What I really want to know is which film stock do they usually use for that, and any other lab info on it.

I wonder if they make 70mm prints not to go on a resolution thing but its well known that 70mm looks amazing around 4K res (not talking about negative res), what would a 70mm EK print look like?

or even a 35mm(1k) would that look like 2-3k haha

• 3 weeks later...

I can only think you mean a direct print from the negative instead of a release print from the IP/DN. Usually we make a first trial print from the cut negative (when negatives were still cut) then an answer print until everything was as desired, then an IP/DN would be struck and release prints made from that. Obviously the quality of a direct print from the cut negative is a lot higher than a release print from IP/DN.

What really gave 70mm. the edge was that because so few were needed, 70mm. prints were made straight from the 65mm. neg, not via the intermediates Dirk mentions, as the 35mm. prints of the same film, or release prints of a film shot in 35, would be..

Edited by Mark Dunn