Push processing Fuji Eterna 500 T 8673

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any experience of pushing fuji's 8673 stock to 1000ASA? Is it better to push the stock, or correct for under-exposure in the grade?

I'm looking to shoot in very low light conditions, but I want to keep grain as much under control as I can.

• Premium Member

If you're looking to control grain then I'd honestly say you're on the wrong stock. Kodak '19 500T is much less grainy than Fuji, in my experience. In truth, however, if you're under-exposing you'll get grain. I probably wouldn't push for just 1 stop; and may just let things live one stop under in the scan-- with proper lighting when possible to give you separation from the BG . This may be little LED lights you hide in the area you're shooting in order to look like practicals and pop your actors out against when they walk if you're talking urban enviorments and a little obie light on camera for eye-light and a bit of fill

Many thanks for all this splendid info.

Yep, given the choice we'd much rather have chosen Kodak's 500T. However, we got a really good deal on some Fuji Eterna as part of an "end of the line" deal. We got 3 cans including processing and scanning to Apple pro Res, all for the princely sum of £500. (Not sure what that is in dollars these days, but it's a good deal any way you look at it.) Now Fuji MP has been axed, it's gonna have to be Kodak on future productions.

I'll certainly take all this info into account when we shoot.

It's a very low budget production, and we don't have the luxury of being able to shoot much in the way of tests, I'm afraid.