CP Ultra T primes

• Premium Member

I'm working on building a set of the Cinema Products Ultra T primes. I bought one off eBay and Ill be getting it soon and Im trying to find others.

What I want ot ask (since I haven't shot with them) is how they would compare to:

1) The lousy stock Angie 12-120 zoom AND

2) How would they compare to the Vario Sonnar 10-100 zoom (which was the lens I was going to get before the prime)

I purchased the 16mm prme because I got what seems to be a great deal on it ($400 including shipping) and I hope they are sharp with nice color rendition.

Any help is appreciated!

I have a set of Cine Kowa primes, which are identical to the Ultra Ts aside from the nameplate. I think you'll find them an improvement over the Angenieux 12-120, particularly in low-light situations. I haven't used the Angenieux for probably 4 or 5 years, but I remember it needed to be stopped down pretty far to look decent. My experience with the Cine Kowas is:

T1.25 - soft, but you can get away with it sometimes

T2 - decent

T2.8 - very good

T4 - great

As for the Zeiss, I've used a 10-100 converted for Super 16 (Optex 12-120 T2.4). It's a really nice lens, and covers a useful range. The portholing at close focus on the wide end is limiting, especially if you're trying to cram the camera into a tight space. The more advanced coatings on Zeiss lenses give them higher contrast than the Ultra Ts, which can give the at-a-glance impression of higher sharpness if you're comparing them side by side. Color-wise, the Ultra Ts have warmer, less-saturated reproduction than Zeiss, though if you mix lenses it's easy to adjust any differences if you're transferring to video.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer.

• 2 months later...
Guest Christopher Sheneman

I'm also interested in Cinema Products Ultra T primes. There's scant info on the internet about these lenses and only one YouTube video (so far) -which was exciting but again- that's it.

I'm interested in viewing any footage Daniel, Matt, anyone? Perhaps put the link on this thread..