Bolex RX5 disassembly

Dom Jaeger

• Premium Member

For all the Bolex lovers out there I documented a service procedure on an RX5. As mentioned in the blog, it is not a guide for servicing your own Bolex (and I've deliberately left out a few parts), but hopefully it's of interest to some people. At the very least it should demonstrate that putting a few drops of oil on the bearing pivots is not giving your camera a service. Send it to a professional!

And long live film..

http://cinetinker.blogspot.com.au/

• Premium Member

Dom,

Can you just remind me what it costs for you guys to do a lube and adjust, assuming no unexpected problems.

Cheers,

Gregg

Hi Gregg,

we usually charge AU$390 for a full service, including checking lens collimation. Given the time it takes it's far from being a money spinner for the company, but we're pretty committed to keeping film an option for filmmakers down under. It tends to be mainly experimental filmmakers here who still shoot film, occasionally students, and a lot use Bolexes because they're affordable. Professionals in Australia (or at least the producers) seem to have all but forgotten film still exists. Funny thing is, when someone does have the balls to shoot on film, they invariably scoop up all the industry awards, and their careers take off. Go figure.

Very nice work, Dom, as always.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Thanks Jean-Louis - I'm a Bolex novice next to you, so if it gets your approval I'm a happy man!