Do More People Project or Transfer Super-8???

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member
and yes there are more people projecting S-8 than transferring it.

I find the above to be an eyebrow raising statement.

I'm of the opinon that Super-8 lives on because of transfer to video technology, which then opens up the NLE option. Not that there's anything wrong with projection, other than the film gets microscopically damaged everytime it's projected. :ph34r:

• Premium Member

Given that many people still use Super-8 for personal movies, with no commercial intent, the statement that more people project Super-8 than transfer it is probably correct.

But if you intend to distribute your film and have it viewed by more than a few friends and relatives, it will need to be scanned.

I'd agree with that, NLE gives so many options and the high quality transfers being achieved through the whole range of professional, commercial and homebrew tecniques - IMHO give the best of both worlds.

I also agree that NLE is the way to go. But most people shooting S-8 don't have Work Printers, and spending the extra $$ on telecine is an occasional delicacy. Out of all the S-8 users out there, how many are getting paid for it? hardley any.. leaving it mostly for pure enjoyment and experimentation.

I like the old school way. :ph34r:I like to get my hands right on the film and cut it. It's just awesome and there's something about it. Then I project them as there is nothing like seeing your work on a 6ft screen or bigger! :D

But before I do any of that I do have the film transfered to video(and do a rough cut on an editing program) for refrence on how I sould cut the film itself. ;)

But before I do any of that I do have the film transfered to video(and do a rough cut on an editing program) for refrence on how I sould cut the film itself. 

If your going to transfer it, always do it before you project it. you can blow a hair off your film, but not off a digital file. working with NLE has halted my splicing of films pretty much. I'm able to cut and edit with sound or music that way, a million times and a million different ways without sacrifice. editing my films this way helps keep my powder dry from cutting up films i'd regret cutting later. So from a projecting aspect, I've stocked up a years worth reels uncut.. that I have finally just recently cut or extracted segments from to build a 400ft reel of my favorite shots to project. I hope to make it to Super 8 day in Portland and show it.

all my super8 and 16mm work is Projected. it is distributed beyond my hometown and friends and Projected. i shoot film to project, to take advantage of the quality of film. proper telecine can look good, but not enough for me to present in video.

• Premium Member

Does anyone project the (reversal) camera original in a PROFESSIONAL application? The only professional application I know of that actually projected a spliced camera original were those who traveled from town to town presenting personally narrated travelogues. Almost every other professional filmmaker has prints made, or transfers their film for video presentation.

what i mean by distributed beyond your hometown, the work ive produced is distributed by co-ops that rent or they are screened at film fest and other venues such as galleries, etc.

most of the work i screen is either bumped to a super8 or 16mm print or i do as john says, travel with the original.

When you say it is distributed beyond your hometown and friends, what do you mean?