Purchasing Super 8 splices

Kelly Gwynn

Hi, Can someone please recommend a good place (ideally online) for purchasing Super 8 tape splices? When I was in school, I would just buy them from the film school, but that was like 10 years ago and several thousand miles away. I'm teaching a Super 8 summer camp and will need quite a few. Thanks!

• Premium Member

I don't know all the resources out there but I do know that Spectra Film and Video has been active in the past in selling super-8 accessories such as editing tape. Just google them, or go to SpectraFilmandVideo.com

Click on the "products tab" and you will see there is editing tape. If you plan on buying a lot, and I don't know what constitutes a lot ( I'm assumng 20 packages would constitute a lot), maybe they throw something in to sweeten the transaction, perhaps a super-8 filmmaking magazine, maybe some type of discount on film transfer. Again it depends on how big an order you make. If they don't offer any type of "extra", keep in mind you are speaking to people that have devoted a lot of time to super-8 over the years and we all benefit from their expertise and still offering their services for the super-8 community.

Have you got the splicers/presses already? Rollsplicer (like CIR Catozzo) are a bit more expensive to purchase but are cheapest in the long end as the rolls supply plenty of splices and don't cost that much. These pre-cut tab things cost 20 cents per piece if not more. Unless you get lucky and find a forgotten batch :)

I think I'm going to go with the pre-cut tab thingys because the came is for 10 and 11 year olds, so I think we'll be dealing with enough manual dexterity issues, as it is. They can only learn so many new skills in a week. Thanks for the help, everyone!!

You don't have a choice. Pre-cut splices only work with that sort of splicer which presumably you have. Plain tape won't work with them.

In my book a CIR plain-tape splicer is much easier to use than pre-cut, but as I said, you don't have a choice.

I think I'm going to go with the pre-cut tab thingys because the came is for 10 and 11 year olds, so I think we'll be dealing with enough manual dexterity issues, as it is. They can only learn so many new skills in a week. Thanks for the help, everyone!!

You have splicer or not? The pre-cut aren't that much easier to use.

Are you going to do processing yourself?