using difussion filter, prime or zoom?

Guest ariel

Guest ariel

I'm going to use diffusion filter. cokin filter, sun-soft is the name. it's quite heavy diffusion and i have some shots against the sun light (crane down, a tree in the foreground and the sun light coming through the tree from front)

I'm afraid from flares. which is better to use the zoom lens or the prime lenses?

I thought that maybe because the prime are only 1 lens so its less risky for flares.

What do you think?...

thanks,

REL

• Premium Member

Hi,

The main problem I've had with mist filters is that it tends to be rather easy to cast shadows on them, since they're inherently designed to diffuse. This can create a hard line across the frame. Also ensure that behind the filter is well sealed against leaking light - I ended up wrapping tape around the mattebox to avoid odd shadows of parts of the mattebox mechanics.

Phil

• Premium Member

In general zoom lenses will give more flares, in that there are more elements to give distinct spots or flares. But primes can flare also.

Another thing to consider is the filter reflection. You might want to consider a matte box with an angled filter stage so you don't get too much light bouncing between the front element and the back of the filter.