Flashlight tubes/small flourescent bulb?

Hey guys, I'm shooting a scifi-ish music video next month. They want the talent to be holding "light tubes". I know I've seen them in movies before, like a battery powered tube, but I can't find anything like it. The only thing I can think of would be using a small Kino tube, but then you have to run wires to both sides.

Does anyone know of anything I could use for this?

Thanks!

You mean like semi forgotten movie "Subway" from the 80's?

Here they appear to have run a cable along the tube which detracts a bit to modern eyes:

a12subway3.jpg

Edited by Freya Black

Essentially that is what I'm looking for...But smaller, maybe even 1 foot or 18 inches. And preferably something I wouldnt have to gaff tape and hide wires with.

I'm thinking about using one of these LED lights 160899_lg.jpg

And modifying that...maybe put it inside some sort of frosted tube.

Thoughts?

Essentially that is what I'm looking for...But smaller, maybe even 1 foot or 18 inches. And preferably something I wouldnt have to gaff tape and hide wires with.

I'm thinking about using one of these LED lights 160899_lg.jpg

And modifying that...maybe put it inside some sort of frosted tube.

Thoughts?

If you go that route then I would cut off the hook, or even see if I could remove the plastic bit off the top and still have it work (depends how it works). Then it would be a bit like a tiny light sabre. Doesn't look like it takes internal batteries tho?

I might respray the base a different colour or redecorate it in some way.

I'd also gel the tubes different colours personally.

Freya

If you go that route then I would cut off the hook, or even see if I could remove the plastic bit off the top and still have it work (depends how it works). Then it would be a bit like a tiny light sabre. Doesn't look like it takes internal batteries tho?

I might respray the base a different colour or redecorate it in some way.

I'd also gel the tubes different colours personally.

Freya

How would you recommend I gel the tube? These will be seen pretty close up so I couldn't just wrap it.

• Premium Member

Consider the sort of cold-cathode fluorescents that are used to backlight LCD displays:

08_good_ccfl.jpg

These are available quite cheaply online - search for "cold cathode lamp". Often they come with inverters that run from 12V, so you can straightforwardly run them from batteries and avoid having the talent cabled to the mains. The tubes themselves are about 1/8" or 3mm in diameter but they're quite fragile on their own and usually supplied in a plastic sleeve about 3/8" or 10mm in diameter. They usually come in either 12 or 4 inch lengths.

The "white" is usually quite cool and cyanish, which may be good or bad for your application. They also come in red, green, blue, yellow and UV, among others. You could bunch them together and put the results inside a diffused tube (or a tube with diffusion gel) for a different diameter, more brightness, or mixed colours, etc.

I have a whole case full of these things with dimmable inverters and they are very handy.

P

These are available quite cheaply online - search for "cold cathode lamp". Often they come with inverters that run from 12V, so you can straightforwardly run them from batteries and avoid having the talent cabled to the mains. The tubes themselves are about 1/8" or 3mm in diameter but they're quite fragile on their own and usually supplied in a plastic sleeve about 3/8" or 10mm in diameter. They usually come in either 12 or 4 inch lengths.

Heh heh! I was about to mention these too! I have a few in blue from the pound shop!

They are very thin and small but then you could always place them inside some plastic tubing or something.

Freya

How would you recommend I gel the tube? These will be seen pretty close up so I couldn't just wrap it.

I would put the gel inside the transparent plastic tube! :)

You may not even need to tape it but you do need to cut the gel right.

Freya

• 4 weeks later...