Amateur Nizo 481 film loading question...

Gavin Hardy

Hi all, I'm new to Super 8 so forgive me for asking this! Just got a Nizo 481, put some Kodak Tri-X in the back (it only goes in one way, otherwise the door doesn't close, worked that bit out!) but it kind of just sits in there lose. I thought it would click in but it doesn't. Plus if I open the back door it can just put which doesn't seem right to me.

Can someone kindly point out my no doubt amateur error!

Thank you,

Gavin

Hi all, I'm new to Super 8 so forgive me for asking this! Just got a Nizo 481, put some Kodak Tri-X in the back (it only goes in one way, otherwise the door doesn't close, worked that bit out!) but it kind of just sits in there loose. I thought it would click in but it doesn't. Plus if I open the back door it can just put which doesn't seem right to me.

Can someone kindly point out my no doubt amateur error!

Thank you,

Gavin

Apologies for the typo's, it should read that when I open the door it can just drop out

I am not sure what the problem is you are describing. Do you mean the door will not close (latch) properly when you insert the film cartridge ?

Loading the camera is simple: slide the cartridge in (film facing forward) and then close the door . Make sure the door is closed all the way, the latch should "click" closed and door should stay closed . The metal spring piece on the interior of the door will push the cartridge all the way forward in the chamber so the film is pushed up flat against the film gate.

Load%2520Nizo_Super_8.jpg

You can find the user manual here:

http://super8arena.com/camera_manuals.php

Hi , thanks for the replies.

Basically when I put the cartridge in it's very wobbly, and when I open the door it can drop out if I tilt the camera back. I guess I was looking for a satisfying click that lets me know the film is properly loaded, but judging from the comments, closing the door is what secures it in place?

I guess I'm trying to avoid wasting the first roll if film, but it's the only way I'll find out if it works!

Gav

Basically when I put the cartridge in it's very wobbly, and when I open the door it can drop out if I tilt the camera back. I guess I was looking for a satisfying click that lets me know the film is properly loaded, but judging from the comments, closing the door is what secures it in place?

I guess I'm trying to avoid wasting the first roll if film, but it's the only way I'll find out if it works!

Gav

Yes , the metal spring on the interior of the door will seat the cartridge correctly in the chamber. It's good that it pops out easily when you tilt the camera back slightly because this makes it easy and fast to change cartridges .

I have a Nizo 480 (similar to your Nizo 481) . The only thing I don't like about it is the back-loading of the film because it is more difficult to access the film gate for cleaning with a soft brush . To me that is the only design flaw of the Nizo 480 and similar cameras . I like that the side-loading cameras I have owned (Canon 814, Canon 514 , Nikon R8) offer easy access to clean the gate , but in every other respect I love the design and functionality of Nizo.

I guess I'm trying to avoid wasting the first roll if film, but it's the only way I'll find out if it works

If you are worried that the cartridge is not seated correctly and that the film is not advancing properly , you can test it by making a black dot with an ink pen (Sharpie) on the middle of the film in the exposed part of the cartridge at the beginning . Insert the cartridge and press the trigger of a second to advance the film. Then remove the cart to see that the black dot is no longer visible on the film, which will confirm for you that the film is advancing properly. The meter on the left side of the camera will also show that the film is advancing properly .

Nizo_film_advance_meter.jpg

Gav

That's how it is with the Nizo. i've had a few and they are all like that. The cart has some wiggle room before you close the door. It's held tight once you close the door and the tension leaf on the inside of door pushes the cart firmly on the gate.