Josh D

Hello there,

I am a novice to the world of Super 8 film and have recently purchased two projectors. I have some questions relating to these projectors and hope someone out there might be interested in helping me out with a few things.

Bell & Howell Autoload 461a Super 8 Projector

While film appears to load and run through the projector as intended, the projected image is scattered and jittery to the point of not being able to make out what is being shown in the film. When the lever is switched to Still, the image is clear and clean and in focus. However, once switched back to Forward, the chaotic mess returns.

Sears Easy-Load P222 and P223 Super 8 Projector

The image shown is clean and in focus, but I’m confused about the way the reels are operating. The Reel Arm spins at a speed much faster than the projector processes the film, causing a big mess in little time. Also, the Rear Spindle doesn’t spin (is it supposed to?), so I’m having to manually wind the film after it’s moved through the projector.

Any input or information on either of these projectors and the issues I’m having with them would be appreciated!

Hello there,

I am a novice to the world of Super 8 film and have recently purchased two projectors. I have some questions relating to these projectors and hope someone out there might be interested in helping me out with a few things.

Bell & Howell Autoload 461a Super 8 Projector

While film appears to load and run through the projector as intended, the projected image is scattered and jittery to the point of not being able to make out what is being shown in the film. When the lever is switched to Still, the image is clear and clean and in focus. However, once switched back to Forward, the chaotic mess returns.

Sears Easy-Load P222 and P223 Super 8 Projector

The image shown is clean and in focus, but I’m confused about the way the reels are operating. The Reel Arm spins at a speed much faster than the projector processes the film, causing a big mess in little time. Also, the Rear Spindle doesn’t spin (is it supposed to?), so I’m having to manually wind the film after it’s moved through the projector.

Any input or information on either of these projectors and the issues I’m having with them would be appreciated!

I dont think so. Brian meant full first and full lastname please.

This is a Forum for professional Cinematographers. The Forum is related to Filmmaking, Directing, Cameras, Lighting etc.

There is a section "super 8" but i am not sure if anyone can help you there. I think you'd have a better Chance if you're looking in a Super 8 Projector Forum.

This is not meant as an offence! You're very welcome here if you use your full Name, follow the Rules and if your postings are about Cinematography.

Respectfully

Randy Tomlinson

• Premium Member

I'm pretty sure the Super-8 forum can handle a question about super-8 projectors, or at the very least give a nice link referral. In the meantime, DON'T use your projectors as they may be irreparably harming your film.

I would be very careful with the bell & howell still frame function, if you leave it too long in still film it will literally "dissolve" your film, as in melt it. If you're bell & howell is a "dual" projector, then that would mean it can handle either regular 8mm or super-8mm and perhaps you have set it in the 8mm position instead of the super-8 position. There should also be a "reloop" switch which can take away the jitteriness, assuming your projector is either super-8 only or set to super-8 if it is a dual projector.

The sears projector, I'm not sure why the front reel would be spinning so fast unless one of the switches is somehow stuck in a fast forward position.

I would STRONGLY SUGGEST a movie viewer for viewing your films until you get a decently working super-8 projector. Definitely repost your question on the super-8 forum which you can find as a subheading on the main cinematography.com page under the category of film.

And finally, the best way not to damage your film is to have a transfer facility transfer the film onto some type of digital recording format. Once the original film is damaged, it probably can't be undone.

• Upvote 1