where to buy rags by the yard in the uk?

jake powell

simple question really ... where can you or do my fellow uk based guys buy your fabrics from ?

i want to buy stuff like duvetyn, china silk, ultra bounce , bleached muslin by length from a roll in large sizes.

it appears to be an easy task in america but i don't fancy paying loads for the shipping...

(my girlfriend is poop hot at sewing and said she would make loads of rags for me with grommets / elastic corners or anything i just need to spec em hand her the materials and she will sew them for me - i know what a babe. should save me a fair bit when it comes to shooting my first feature.. :) ..)

so yeah where do i buy these things in the uk?

this is also my first post so hi guys, cool community you've got going on here , guna take a while to read some posts :)

im london based but literally anywhere that will ship to me at a reasonable cost! .... soho you say?! any more info on where?

iv'e checked ebay but couldn't find anything suitable . mostly loads of backdrops for stills photography, but nothing like proper ultra bounce or flame retardant treated china silks...

• Premium Member

There's a few places in and around Berwick street, but I couldn't swear that it's the best spot in town.

Coincidentally that's also been the semi-official location for our semi-irregular cinematography.com meetups. Perhaps we should arrange for one soon.

I wouldn't expect to be able to buy specifically movie-oriented stuff anywhere in the UK, except at very expensive rental places.

There's a few places in and around Berwick street, but I couldn't swear that it's the best spot in town.

Coincidentally that's also been the semi-official location for our semi-irregular cinematography.com meetups. Perhaps we should arrange for one soon.

I wouldn't expect to be able to buy specifically movie-oriented stuff anywhere in the UK, except at very expensive rental places.

that sounds promising il check it out, cheers . oh cool meet sounds good. and whats up with the lack of it in the uk?!

what do you guys do when you need stuff? (do u ship it from overseas? )

You should be able to find Duvetyne and Muslin at most textile suppliers. Be aware that they won't be treated with flame retardant, and so they are theoretically an issue for insurance. Duvetyne is also known as Black Bolton in the UK. Also, what is referred to as Muslin in the US is actually called Calico in the UK.

Ultra bounce and Silks may be harder to source. Your best bet may be to figure out what other mainstream uses these textiles have and then find their suppliers.

For instance:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WHITE-TARPAULIN-COVER-GROUND-EYELETS/dp/B007JB47UC

Be aware that they won't be treated with flame retardant, and so they are theoretically an issue for insurance.

therein lies the issue as to why i wanted to source a proper film materials supplier ...

thanks for the info though :) (this might sound dumb but what is that tarpaulins film double?

cheers