Using C-Mount-lenses on a Leicina Special

Joerg Polzfusz

Hi,

is there any way to attach C-Mount-lenses to a Leicina Special (M-Mount)? Most people on some German forums told me that this isn't possible due to the different distances between film plane and lens. However I could get myself a "C-Mount to Nikon F-Mount"-adapter and then I could use a "Nikon F-Mount to Leica-M-Mount"-adapter to mount this on the Leicina?! Or did I miss something important?

Jörg

Hi Jörg,

You actually missed something important... With these adapters, your C-Mount lenses will only work in macro or very close focus range. In order to be able to focus to infinity, a C-mount lens need to be mount at the exact distance of 17.52mm from film. The Nikon adapter places it at a distance of about 46mm, well too far from film to operate in normal focus range. It will then act as an extension tube like for macro-photography.

I hope it's clear enough.

Tom

I'm aware of this problem. Hence I thought that the adapters might include some optical elements. However it looks like the c to f adapter protrudes into the camera so that the lens will be at the correct distance? I wonder if this will work at all for any camera?

The F to M facilitates infinity. If the C to F could do the the same it would work.

I doubt the modern C lenses will produce macro images. Too often there is a back focus lens which is not moving at all when focusing. I.e. it will never project a sharp image when it is not at the correct distance. It is a misrepresentation to suggest it will do macro.

There are P to F adapters which have indeed a lens to stretch the back focus a bit. F bodies are thicker dan P bodies.

The question is if a C to M could exist with a cup like the listed C to F which would allow the proper distance....

In the mean time you are likely would be best off with Nikon DX lenses on a F to M. There are plenty cheap one with short focal lengths.

It must facilitate closing the aperture and the lens must have manual aperture and focusing :)

Are there any Nikon 1 to M adapters :) Digital M are so terribly overpriced and sparse that they form no market for adapter makers from China. Who swamp the market these days.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Sorry but even when the focusing elements move independently from the rear lens group, you can always achieve macro, you can try for yourself. But even with "old" lenses, using the focusing ring is pretty useless anyway in macro photography, you focus moving the whole camera. I work a lot like that for extreme close ups, having a nice set of M42 extensions tubes. I actually use a Fujinon 54-270 with independent focus barrel (as it's a zoom lens) with which the minimum focusing distance is so far (2.5m) that using extension tubes are the only way to achieve close focus. What is true though is that image quality is far from optimal in those cases, but can still be sharp enough.

But getting back to the C to F adapter, the adapter you showed on the link does not seem to have optical elements nor the right flange focal distance. Believe me, if it had the good distance, it would protrudes MUCH more into the camera. Those adapters can't protrude too much because of the moving mirror of Nikon cameras.

Anyway I'm curious, what kind of lenses are you trying to use ? It is said that the 1.8/6-66 and 1.8/10 Shneiders for M-Mount are the best lenses ever in super 8, so I seriously doubt you will have any advantages mounting other lenses, unless you want extreme telephoto with focal lengths greater than 66mm, but in this case any M to whatever SLR mount with corresponding lenses will do the job.

Hi,

is there any way to attach C-Mount-lenses to a Leicina Special (M-Mount)? Most people on some German forums told me that this isn't possible due to the different distances between film plane and lens. However I could get myself a "C-Mount to Nikon F-Mount"-adapter and then I could use a "Nikon F-Mount to Leica-M-Mount"-adapter to mount this on the Leicina?! Or did I miss something important?

Jörg

Why would you want to put a c mount lens on a leicina special when leica lens even for the leicina are way better than the best of c mounts len"s?

Why would you want to put a c mount lens on a leicina special when leica lens even for the leicina are way better than the best of c mounts len"s?

The original Leicina suitable ones are over 30 years old. There are plenty C-mount lenses from Fuji and Nikon who deliver better images. It is an illusion to think the science of optics hasn't advanced since then. Not to forget the modern glasses which are so much better.

Also there are real wide-angle lenses with C-mount which can be interesting.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

The original Leicina suitable ones are over 30 years old. There are plenty C-mount lenses from Fuji and Nikon who deliver better images. It is an illusion to think the science of optics hasn't advanced since then. Not to forget the modern glasses which are so much better.

Also there are real wide-angle lenses with C-mount which can be interesting.

Not forgeting them Leica M mount lens which I am sure are way better than fuji / nikon ,

and a nice price to to go with it even new !

Anyway c mount to m mount can not be done for the Leicina .

Which brands and models do so?

I just cited my Fujinon, but actually every zoom lenses you can put your hands on. Doing macro with a zoom lens is very interesting because you can use the zoom barrel to focus.

Some other aspect you need to consider is the ergonomics of all this : as the lens, to have the right flange focal distance, will be in a recess, the lens not only will have to be small enough, but you might have some problems to have access to some of its functions depending on where the focus and stop barrels are. To give an example, I have a Fujinon 1.4/25 which stop barrel is only 5 mm from the mount. Given that there's approximately a 10mm difference between the C-mount and M-mount FFD, it will be likely that I will not be able to access to the iris function.

If you absolutely want to use C-mount lenses in super-8, I think the easier way is to find yourself a Beaulieu or a Fujica. There was a lot of Leicina users in the 70's and I think that if it would have been possible to adapt C-mount lenses to this camera, we would have heard of it.

Because:

a) the two lenses for the Leicina have in fact been made by Schneider-Kreuznach and have been available in both M-mount and C-mount.

b) I do have at least 5 nice C-mount-lenses (for my Fujica ZC1000). Unfortunately the M-mount-lens that came with my Leicina has got some "issues". And as the "original" Leicina-lenses normally sell for 300EUR and more on eBay, getting an adapter sounds feasible. (Especially as it would prevent me from hoarding even more lenses. Not to mention that other M-mount-lenses are expensive and can only be used as "tele"-lenses on a Super8-camera.)

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz

Sorry if it does not seem obvious to me, but why would you want to use your Leicina over the Fujica ? The ZC1000 is a far better camera, second to none in the 8mm world. The Leicina is not worth the trouble if you ask me, I used both too and I prefer to use the Fujica without a single doubt, even if it means diy cartridge loading. And if you want to absolutely use a Super-8 cartridge, you can find yourself a Beaulieu for less than the price of a Leicina lens.

Because:

a) the two lenses for the Leicina have in fact been made by Schneider-Kreuznach and have been available in both M-mount and C-mount.

B) I do have at least 5 nice C-mount-lenses (for my Fujica ZC1000). Unfortunately the M-mount-lens that came with my Leicina has got some "issues". And as the "original" Leicina-lenses normally sell for 300EUR and more on eBay, getting an adapter sounds feasible. (Especially as it would prevent me from hoarding even more lenses. Not to mention that other M-mount-lenses are expensive and can only be used as "tele"-lenses on a Super8-camera.)

Yes' that right both len's for Leicina are made my schneider but are way better , leica had schneider re make the len/s for the Leicina !