Optex Zeiss s16 12-120 filter options? Screw on?

Jeff Wright

Hey guys, I think I have a s16 zeiss 12-120 zoom on the way soon. I mainly work super run and gun and will do pretty much anything to avoid using a matte box. I believe the outer diameter of the lens is a standard 80mm so I'm sure I could use a snap on shade with round filters. Ideally though, I'd love to use normal screw on filters. I've been having a hard time finding out if these lenses have threads. Does anyone know if they do and what size they are?

From memory they use clamp on filter holders. I never had an issue using an Arri 3 x 3 clip on lightweight matte box shooting documentaries with this lens, you could whip out a filter in seconds, much faster than screw filters.

Thanks Brian,

I work in the really strange niche of action snow sports. I'm constantly having to take the camera in and out of my pack. Screw on filters are pretty handy for this as they tend to not get dust and moisture inside. Basically just one surface (outermost) to clean instead of multiple (interior) ones. Space is seriously limited as I use an avalanche airbag pack on most jobs and larger roomier ones are not yet made.

Jeff,

If you think the outer diameter of the front of the lens is a standard 80mm, then it sounds like you are getting a Zeiss Mk I 10-100mm T2 lens that was converted by the Optics conversion kit to a 12-120 in order to cover S-16mm.

There are no threads for screwing shades or filters on to the front of the lens. It will only take a clamp on ring to told filters.

There is no better way to "f" up a lens from the era this lens was made than to clamp, mount, screw something, hang anything off the front of these type of optics. They were never designed to do so. In the long/short run, doing so will destroy the mechanics.

The Mk II lens had additional problems because of the weight of the larger front element that was added to eliminate the vignetting problem on the

Mk I lens.

Here's a link to a discussion about the 2 versions of this lens.....

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=44963&hl=%2Bzeiss+%2B10-100mm+%2Bzoom&do=findComment&comment=318585

I understand the style of shooting you're doing, I would just be careful as to how much weight you add to the front of the lens. I think Zeiss fixed the problem when Arri offered the Zeiss S-16 11-110 version of the lens.

Charlie.