malcolm in the middle

Louis

A friend of mine told me something a long time ago, and it sounded like a lie at the time, and the more I learn about cinematography, the more it sounds like a lie, so I figured I would just ask people who know more than I do: Is Malcolm in the Middle shot on 8mm or Super 8? That's what I was told, but it doesn't seem like that's possible.

A friend of mine told me something a long time ago, and it sounded like a lie at the time, and the more I learn about cinematography, the more it sounds like a lie, so I figured I would just ask people who know more than I do:  Is Malcolm in the Middle shot on 8mm or Super 8?  That's what I was told, but it doesn't seem like that's possible.

Hi, i just read in a book i have that it was shot in 16mm. you dont see too much 8 and s8 on TV any more.

Was 8mm or Super 8 ever regularly used on TV?  If so, which shows?

I?m not really sure of what shows where shot in 8mm but I know it used to be used for broadcasting until video came along. It is still used some in dream sequences in films and in any thing that you would want to have that grainy look for artistic purposes.

I?m not bashing 8 or s8 but it just isn?t used in the professional realm too much any more.

-Zach

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

It looks like 35mm to me. Even 16mm would look too grainy, let alone 8mm.

• Premium Member
The few times I have been by Malcolm in the middle's set I saw 35mm Panaflex cameras.

I am 99% sure it is shot on 35, and 100% sure it is not shot on 8 or s8.

Kevin Zanit

Interesting.

If I'm reading it correctly, according to the following article on Kodak's website, at least some of MITM is/was shot on super 16:

http://tinyurl.com/6ctnp

I wonder what they're currently using, or if it varies from show to show, or in different years/seasons?

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

• Premium Member

I wonder how old the article is.

I have only been on the set a few times recently, and each time it is a really big show. They are without a doubt shooting with Panaflex cameras, and the only 16mm Panaflex is the Elaine, which is not exactly the most popular 16mm camera out there (I really like it though).

It could have been when the show started they were shooting 16, but I am pretty certain they are now shooting on 35mm.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Malcolm in the Middle is shot on Super16, Scrubs is as well. Panavision makes a 16mm camera, the Elaine. I think Law and order SVU is shot on S16 also, not sure which cameras they use. HD rentals are not falling off, but S16 rentals are up.

I don't think 8mm got much usage to shoot news. 16mm was the standard for documentary and newsgathering. Auricon, Maurer, Mitchell, Arriflex, Bell & Howell and Bolex were used. Other cameras, as well, CP-16's later.

A lot of people tried HD and went back to film. A lot of people have gone over to HD. It depends on a lot of things, what format eventually gets chosen.

Occasionally 8mm gets used for things, but not for a whole film. Natural Born Killers comes to mind as a film that used 8mm for certain "effects" to illustrate a character/feeling.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Daniel, it's perfectly possible to shoot 16mm and have it not look grainy on standard def TV, especially with modern grain reduction tools. The stuff I shot had very little objectionable grain - probably more than there would have been video noise in the same circumstances, but not much that you'd notice after it's been broadcast.

Phil

Hi,

Daniel, it's perfectly possible to shoot 16mm and have it not look grainy on standard def TV, especially with modern grain reduction tools. The stuff I shot had very little objectionable grain - probably more than there would have been video noise in the same circumstances, but not much that you'd notice after it's been broadcast.

Phil

Agreed. On the last shoot I did we shot on Kodak 7277 320T (super 16) in some pretty low light situations, and the lens was wide open (f/2) the whole time, and there was hardly any noticeable grain, and on the few shots where we decided to open up a bit, it looked even clearer, to the point where it ellicited a "wow" from the director. I was really pleased with the process.