1st AC

Going to be shooting 2 400ft rolls for a trailer for a Director friend from Maverick on 35mm - using my old trusty Arri 2C. ADR shoot - so no sound :)

Looking for someone experienced who can help do some guerilla shooting. Involve a bit of carrying, grip, focus setting, lens clean and changes - whatever is needed really.

The actors have just come back from LA - so the shoot has to be this Saturday (23rd April) with a 4am start! In central London Hyde Park etc - with car shots late at night so it is going to be a long long day

any takers? - will have a professional TK at the end as well B)

Mail me off list at Rolfe.klement@creativesunshine.com

thanks

Rolfe

• Premium Member

Hi,

> will have a professional TK at the end as well

Why would that be of the slightest interest to the AC you're looking out to abuse? It's not like they're getting a reel item out of it.

Cast can use it, DPs can use it, directors can use it, perhaps jib and steadicam operators, maybe the makeup department, costume and production designers - but ACs, technicians, people without creative input, we have an alternative method of compensation comprising a system of tokens which can be widely exchanged for goods and services.

The system is called money and it means you have to pay.

Phil

but ACs, technicians, people without creative input, we have an alternative method of compensation comprising a system of tokens which can be widely exchanged for goods and services.

I did quite a few freebies as an AC. The renumeration came in the form of experience (which sometimes I needed) and in new contacts (which everyone needs).

I don't see the problem here. If you want to do a freebie - do it. If not, don't. No-one's forcing anyone.

Apologies if this has upset people. Just the quality of people here is so much better than "shooting people." :)

I agree - contacts made in DV or HD freebies are often meaningless.

It is better in the film world of 35mm

This is entirely free - no-one is getting paid. I am not getting paid for my camera, nor the actors for their time, nor the director but in order to get out of the catch 22 situation of can't get a feature job till you shoot something, can't pay for a shoot and crew till you have a job - we (crew) have to do specs | trailers occasionally - access to actors like these is rare in the UK since most of them are in LA

The actors have just come back from feature work in LA so therefore the short notice. And I trust their idea and we need 4am cause sunrise is listed as 5.49am and we need to shoot from the half hour before so 5.19 so with set up and breakfast - moves us to 4am or maybe 4.20 :rolleyes: at least we don't live any further north with an even earlier sunrise

thanks to the people who have applied already - let's make it happen!

Rolfe

Phil,

It can and does get worse. It's not un-common for there to be 10-15 candidates for these "work for no pay jobs", imagine having to beat out other people for the privledge of working for free!

Imagine being told, "sorry you're not qualified to work for free."

I was in these situations back in film school, you had to fight your fellow students for the privledge of giving your labour away.

What a strange biz this is, eh?

RDCB

PS: If Steven Spielberg gave me the opportunity to DP his next film, but I had to work for free, I guess I'd do it. Reluctantly :D

• Premium Member

Hi,

> It's not un-common for there to be 10-15 candidates for these "work for no pay jobs"

Oh, I know. There was a time when I'd have gone up for something like this, but the lack of a filmschool education would have made it largely a waste of time.

Somehow I'm not that bothered by the fact that I can't get no-pay work because I don't have a £100,000 education.

Phil

I've heard rumors that David Mullen gets paid for working on movies, but they are just rumors, and he would be the only one. :D

RDCB

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Hi Rolfe,

Well it was looking good to me until you mentioned that word "experienced"...

Well.. I'll work for free, as a P.A or something. If you?re in need of another pair of hands on deck (experienced coffee making hands that is), just give'us a shout and I'll be down there whatever time, 4 am till midnight is no problem.

God Calling Rachel - P.A

Bottle - 1st AC

Red Lion Square - Director of Photography

Worked in Chas Norman Cameras for a year now, cleaning optics and generally getting to know about camera equipment.

Cheers,

Dan.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Getting people to do work for free even when they can't use it as a reel isn't all that hard. I mean, just go on shootingpeople.org! You have people lining up!

(I just hope that will be the case for my summer film anyway, considering I'm DP'ing it, directing it, and now acting in it, and possibly producing the whole thing, but.. theres always the boom op position!)

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hi,

I have long learned that the kind of contacts you make on freebies are generally worth no more to you in the future either.

Phil

¨

Hi,

A new AC helped me with a pitch 3 weeks ago. I have got him 2 days work since then!

Stephen Williams DP

www.stephenw.com