Using a compact DVD player as a monitor

I'm about to shoot some screen tests for a short... for the lighting

And we can't afford a professional monitor... Could a portable DVD player with a video input do? Am I doing a huge mistake ? :unsure:

Thank You

Cheerios

Ben

Edited by Benny_the_kid

• Premium Member
I'm about to shoot some screen tests for a short... for the lighting

And we can't afford a professional monitor... Could a portable DVD player with a video input do? Am I doing a huge mistake ?  :unsure:

Thank You

Cheerios

Ben

I suspect controlling the contrast, brightness and color reproduction of the display will be problematic, and could lead to incorrect judgements of your lighting.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...=0.1.4.18&lc=en

I suspect controlling the contrast, brightness and color reproduction of the display will be problematic, and could lead to incorrect judgements of your lighting.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...=0.1.4.18&lc=en

if your using it for framing & composition no worries. As far as colour, I suggest getting a dvd (i bleieve most FOX has them) and running the THX calibration in the special features.

• Premium Member

In a world of old CRT TV's lying around, I'm surprised you can't drag something bigger to the shoot than the 7" LCD screen of your portable DVD player.

If no other monitor is possible, at least go back and WATCH the tests on a regular TV screen.

For the shooting of the project itself, not just the tests, the small screen of the DVD player may be sufficient if being portable is your highest priority. Most small video productions would have a 9" CRT monitor, so you're not too far off from that. But if you're going to be in any space where you can set-up a regular TV set, you may want to do so.

In a world of old CRT TV's lying around, I'm surprised you can't drag something bigger to the shoot than the 7" LCD screen of your portable DVD player.

lol.. you're right, but I can also watch rushes on the train... or DVDs for that matter. Which is tempting.... HHHhmmm....I think I'll get one

Thanks guys

Ben

Just don't try to critically judge color or tone scale on the train.  :lol:

:D yeah.. lol... obviously...

I also cut and direct the movie so... I have a few things to look at...like acting and ....stuff... :unsure: lol..anyway.. I bought it and its sharp... very sharp

10.5 inches screen...

Cheerios

Ben