Uni Project, Experimental time-lapse doco

AEON - A Richard Sidey Film (2004)

186_04_sidey_main.jpg

'AEON' - Watch it here!

The primary objective was to offer new perspectives of time that we experience everyday. Secondary objectives included creating a multi-narrative experimental documentary, revealing elements of design through time manipulation and deriving a personal touch by involving locations around Wellington, New Zealand that I have come to know over the course of this degree.

The eastern perspective is involved to create a cyclical structure, and to create a solid structure to which the film can be composed. The film contains over 50 hours of recorded footage compressed into 12 minutes.

Extra notes: Shot on Sony TRV 950E with no budget except parking tickets. This too 4 months to make.

Cheers, Rich.

'AEON' - Watch it here!

• Premium Member

Very technically sound and innovative. The short oozed with visual energy. Very solidly paced. Pungent framing, movement, and color design. My one criticism is that I think you could have reinforced the visuals more with a layered sound bed. The percussion aided the pace of the short, but a more diverse sound scope could reinforce the ideas brought up by the poems. When hard work pays off. Overall, a nice piece you should be proud of. Kudos.

Personally I think the shots are consistently very good, the only thing that lets it down is like someone else said some sfx of the roadsweeper and noises of the city in the morning. They would have been great to hear. Also not all of the shots need to be speeded up e.g. the water fountain/feature would have been really nice at normal speed, some of the cars going past would have been nice at normal speed aswell.

Some of the timelapse is beautiful and you've got the exposure just right, which can be tricky sometimes. What camera did you use?

Liked the titles aswell!

Also the pace of the cuts at the beginning were too fast - it's the morning, it's tranquil and silent slow a slow pace would have been more suitable in my opinion. Maybe the pace of the editing could get quicker as the sun comes up!

Maybe think about chopping it down a bit too into something smaller?

Overall I think it's great!

It's all about time,especially yours!

Having shot the occassional time-lapse myself,I can certainly appreciate the amount of time

you dedicated to your project.

Do you intend to refine your techniques or is this a 'one-off for uni?

Enjoyed the project,

Cheers matt

Cheers for comments fullas.

Camera was a Sony TRV950e and all edited on Final Cut / After Effects.

This was a final uni project so im out of the eduction system for the time being... certainly will be progressing my techniques and i attempt to enter the industry....

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

Congratulations it was very beautiful. Care to share some technical info?

Camera settings, specs on your editing system and how you did that nice spiraling pan of the star filled night sky?

Good stuff.

I agree with most people here. A good film. You've chosen good music to the film. Most shots are well composed. This is a very good student film. I really don't have a problem with not hearing the enviroment sometimes, as someone stated.

But I thought it was a bit long actually. Some parts I were thinking, "come on, get on with it". Some shots which clearly are on a tripod, sometimes move a bit, like it's a mistake. Have to agree with Meach, the pacing sometimes seemed off. Sometimes your shots aren't that well composed, the focus point of the shots seem a bit off. (But don't worry, most shots are of good composure :D )

The highlights of your film, street lights etc, they would have been great with a Pro-Mist 1/2 on them. But as you've stated, it was a no budget film. But maybe the after effects has some elements which you could have produced the same effect on?

But congrats, this is a good film. Fun to watch. Good luck with your next project.