Two more lab closures

We at i-dailies, have set up pos processing. We also have a black and white bath for sound tracks. Our services include rush printing and all film deliverables, and have attempted to be a full service laboratory. Quite a lot of our staff, have been employed from both Technicolor and Deluxe. But Deluxe Spain are still open for bulk printing.

• Upvote 2

We at i-dailies, have set up pos processing. We also have a black and white bath for sound tracks. Our services include rush printing and all film deliverables, and have attempted to be a full service laboratory. Quite a lot of our staff, have been employed from both Technicolor and Deluxe. But Deluxe Spain are still open for bulk printing.

John,

How are you getting on installing your 16mm printer ?

John S :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Deluxe closing on the 21st of March was a shock, I had just neg cut reel 3 of Ken Loach's new film Jimmy's Hall for printing at Deluxe. Then they said they where shutting a month early so could not print it before they shut.

So the other 5 reels have been cut with an 8 frame handles along with a conform EDL that I create using Film Fusion and have gone to Molinaire for a DI, shame I hoped that this would be my last proper film neg cut.

Mind you Ken still works on editing with print so it was nice to get cutting copy/ work prints as my guide.

But its nice to see John and Nigel at idallies are offering more services.

But most of the productions I neg cut go to DeJonghe in Belgium, if fact I cut a lot of European work for them, as there seems to be no neg cutters in northern Europe now either.

What a dinosaur I have become.

I feel sorry for all those great technicians that have or are going to loose there jobs, there skills will be lost forever..

Steve Farman PNC

DCP_2339.jpg

Edited by Steve Farman UK Neg Cutter
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for posting this Steve!

Funny to see the keyboard and mouse tucked well out of the way on your setup there! ;)

That's awful that Ken Loach couldn't get the film printed after all that! I've been following his progress and was rooting for him.

This is why I've had to step away from film for the time being because whenever I would start a project, the film lab would shut down or the stock I wanted to use would be discontinued or something else.

I'm actually looking forward to all the big players getting out of film as it was a small aside to their business and they were really only interested in working with big Hollywood companies. I think the small independent companies that remain will be more supportive of smaller independent filmmakers and be much more stable. Not to mention actually able to cope with the 21st Century!

Looking forward to the end of the shake out! :)

Freya

Edited by Freya Black