Vignetting on Beaulieu 6008 S

Maurizio Di Cintio

Hi, all.

Does anybody know why I get strong vignetting in the eyepiece of my Beaulieu when I use lenses other than the supplied Optivaron 6-70 (I mean just the plain lens - no filters added)?

I thought this could only happen with lenses not specifically designed for this camera for example the Angeniuex 10 mm; but recently I have acquired an Angenieux 6-90 for this very camera with a genereous back element diameter and vignetting occurs anyway at apertures of T 2 or smaller. True it is the instruction manual warns about this stating it won't affect the actual filming on the exposed stock (which I found to be 100% true); still I was wondering if somebody can clarify why this happens...

Thank you.

Hello,

It has wrong adjust. Need very accurate adjust the lens and body. On my beaulieu 6008 pro is exellent!!

regards,

Viktor

Thanks Viktor, but I do not think this is the case: this lens has been already collimated for my specific camera body by a profesisonal. I forgot to punctualize it in my first post...

He is the man I normally grant CLA of my Beaulieu cameras, even in this case. Anyway nothing serious, I was just curious, if someone here knows why this happens (in a private message, Bjorn mentioned this is due to 6008 S viefinder system design which is different from other cameras...).

Kindest regards.

PS: have you found a substitute for your ex Nikon R 10 :D? Perhaps you remember I was the guy who purchased it... In case, good luck searching.

Something could be wrong! Trust me! I have 2 beaulieu 6008 pro with 6-70 lens and NO vignetting! Ask Björn, who is original beaulieu service man in Sweden and the best!!!! He could help you…

Maurizio is saying that the 6-70 lens never vignettes tho!

It does sound strange that it only affects the viewfinder!

Freya

It's likely the vignetting effect only appears in the viewfinder and not on the film. If the surface of the ground glass is contaminated with an oily film, you can sometimes get this effect.

Jean-Louis

In this case it would appear that it isn't a fault tho, but something documented in the manual!

Freya

Try cleaning the ground glass (one wipe, VERY gently, with lens tissue and a drop of lens cleaner)! Or ask Björn Andersson what he recommends.

I've also heard that the 6008 S - 9008 models have slighly different back focus than the earlier (purely French) 2008 - 5008 cameras. Some zooms, like the Angénieux 1,2/6-80mm and 1,2/6-90mm lenses, are VERY narrow in the wide end, so you can only use the big series glass filters, that you can put INSIDE the original Angénieux short two-part lens hood.

Bengt

so you can only use the big series glass filters, that you can put INSIDE the original Angénieux short two-part lens hood.

Bengt

Which I own, thanks God!

Anyway based on all the replies herein and some quick exchages of ideas with Bjorn himself, I tend to think this problem is down to some inherent design faults of the camera which, under some not-all-too-defined conditions, may cause vignetting but only in the viewfinder; in fact my experience has shown this will not affect the image on the film at all; and Beauleu knew about this problem since they clearly mentioned it in their instruction booklet.

• 2 months later...

Is the vignetting even all around the viewfinder? If not, and only in one corner or along one side of the viewfinder frame, then the viewing tube is out of alignment. This won't affect focus, just viewing and accurate composition. The BEAULIEU 6008 models, both early and later Digital LED counter versions, and both Pro and S models, have a different focusing/viewing tube setup compared to previous models and later ones. The ground glass circle is fixed in a different setup from those with a full focusing screen. BEAULIEU offered a retrofit upgrade later on, after the 7008 series came to market. So, there are a very few 6008s out there with this upgrade, but most do not have it. Why BEAULIEU experimented with this setup, only they know. It was not well appreciated, and always made focus and collimation setup more complicated. Other than that, if all else works on the camera, it's still a good camera. I recommend NOT messing about with the focusing viewing system unless you know what you're doing; let an expert handle it. It is very easy to make an error and damage something; I have worked on BEAULIEUs over the years. At least they can still be more readily repaired compared to most other Super 8mm cameras. Good luck on using yours!

• Upvote 1