Reducing echo in room

Matthew W. Phillips

• Premium Member

I am setting up my garage as a sound stage for shooting some scenes. I noticed once I purchased my audio gear that my garage has a crazy echo. It has 9' ceilings as well.

I managed to hang up a bunch of thrift store blankets on the wall to deaden a lot of the echo but there is still noticeable echo.

Attached is a .wav file of what I mean. Anyone have any BUDGET ideas on how I can further decrease echo in the room? Can't afford the expensive audio foam.

Yip, can vouch for egg trays, they are the classic home studio solution.

In lieu of white noise genration and spectral analysis, I think the general tactic is to be as random as possible with your 'traps' as the pitch of the shapes you're introducing roughly scale with wavelengths of the noise they cancel (perhaps by a factor of 2 or 1/2 I can't recall).

• Premium Member

I ended up taking back the Shure SM7b since it wasn't right for what I was doing. I did get a Shure SM81 condenser which I like the sound of. I tried some of the methods listed (although I don't have egg crates yet, sad to say.) The results are better than before but is this an acceptable level or do I need to still try harder?

This is boomed about 18" above my head.

mp_sm81lc_test.wav