Coral filters in desert

Hamid Khozouie

Seamus McGarvey has recently developed a set of filters with Schneider specifically for that purpose. They're called Sahara Gold and they're mainly useful for preserving skin tones and maintaining an overall tone between key and shade (which is very blue). Not having shot in the desert, I can't speak for their brilliance but McGarvey thought they were the ticket, as one would expect given the fact he helped make them.

• Premium Member

I saw the filter at NAB -- it's just an shade of orange, another warming filter, close to an 81EF effect and density, maybe even a little heavier. I'm not sure why that combination of colors would somehow leave skintones less orange than, let's say, a Coral #1, but I guess it was closer to the shade he wanted than a Coral, Gold, Antique Suede, 81EF, etc.

Considering they did a D.I. for the film, it seems that the final prints are LESS orange than the Sahara Gold filter would create, so I guess they pulled back a little from that look in post (other than for some sunset scenes.)

All warming filters are orange-ish with either a yellow/green or red/magenta bias one way or the other, so take your pick as to which shade of orange you prefer. I'm not sure it matters THAT much because you can always further shift the warmth one way or the other in post, so it seems to me that you only need to get it in the ballpark for dailies. For my last film, to warm up the image in dailies, I shot the gray scale with a 1/4 CTB gel over the lens, and this seemed to get me a nice golden color to the scene, without resorting to an extra piece of glass in front of the lens.

Thank you mr Mullen , your consideration is very good . I read in cinematography screencraft that john Seale used ( coral + pl ) in English Patient film .I used ( coral + ultra pl ) and take a good advantage . but with colorist in lab , try to near coral in final prints ........thank you