How to film a bird landing on Electrical Wires for Safety Video?

Jordan Watson

Hey guys,

2 Questions:

1. I'm reviewing a storyboard that a client has sent me and they want a shot of a bird landing safely on electrical wires (telegraph poles). Should I get a VFX team to create an animation? or Is there an easier / cheaper way?

2. They also want a dead animal (sheep or horse) on the ground that has been electrocuted from the sub station. What's the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance!!

Jordan Watson

Unless you know a location where birds regularly land on power cables everyday, you may have to animate it. The local power company or bird watching society may know of such a location. Filming wildlife material takes time, especially if you're after a particular behavior.

You should talk to your local big animal vets or dept of agriculture about obtaining a dead animal. A dead sheep sounds easier to handle than a larger animal like a horse or cow.

I think you should get birds landing on power cables (not on high tension wires). The moment a bird connects with both the wires, they get electrocuted. Since most of the times they perch on one wire, it doesn't become a problem for them. In India, we often find common birds like crows, rock pigeons etc perched on wires in the cities.

Getting shot of an animal electrocuted would definitely be a challenge. May be VFX guys can do that.