Lanterns as Practicals. Where to find them

Raj Kowoski

Hello:

In our shoot, we have a cabin location scene where there is supposedly no electricity. China Lantern and Oil Lanterns are 2 practicals that come to my mind for that scene. Question is, where do I find Oil Lanterns that are converted to battery/electric? How large can light source be? Couple of examples are attached. Many thanks! Raj

post-67176-0-03122600-1423064628_thumb.jpg

post-67176-0-68981100-1423064644_thumb.jpg

Hello:

In our shoot, we have a cabin location scene where there is supposedly no electricity. China Lantern and Oil Lanterns are 2 practicals that come to my mind for that scene. Question is, where do I find Oil Lanterns that are converted to battery/electric? How large can light source be? Couple of examples are attached. Many thanks! Raj

There are electric 'lanterns'. However, they often use fluorescent tubes and so do not have the same quality as a 'mantle + fuel' lantern. I recently bought an 'LED' based lantern at Home Depot, but have not tested the 'light power' for how my camera would record a scene...

There are Coleman LED lanterns that appear to be the same form factor as the 'original' fuel based version.

Edited by John E Clark

• Premium Member

Many of these are built for the production. You'd buy a kerosene version, drill out the bottom; put a socket in there; depending on how bright you need it and the size of the bulb you can hide in it; and then run a wire out.

If you go with a 12V set up, you can hide a battery in the base where the kerosene would go (sometimes just a "door" made with gaffers tape). Other times, you may throw a 150 or a 300 w ceramic socket in there, and then run a wire out.

I find the LED ones to gnerally be blue; which doesn't really work (i have one in the back of my truck, hurricane lantern style which gives off blue light. No idea where it came from, honestly; just appeared one day. I use it at night as a work light).

Also if you get the types with removable glass you can pretty easily paper the inside with something like 251.

pretty much any gaffer could wire one up for you in a matter of minutes if they have the right stuff on hand; and you speak with them about it. It's not all that difficult.

The technical name for that style; btw, is a Hurricane Lantern.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Hurricane-Kerosene-Oil-Lantern-Emergency-Hanging-Light-Lamp-8-Inches-/191498065386

• Premium Member

Depending on how much you frost-up the interior of the globe, you can either use ordinary lightbulbs or if you want to vaguely see a flame shape through less frosting, then a candelabra bulb. If the lamp is wired to outside power, you can do a little flicker gag with it. If you use a brighter bulb and dim it down, you'll get some warmth from the light.

Many thanks.Checked out Home depot, Lowes and Sports Authority. Soent quite sometime on Amazon. All they have is LED.

Final question - If we chose to build our own by converting kerosene lantern, what is the biggest bulb that we can fit with regular batteries? I've seen several movies where a person holds lantern out and walks through dark hallwalls or caves. My guess is those are battery lanterns with bulbs bright enough for print.