Cost effective lens for Aaton 35mm

Julian Fletcher

Hi,

Please could you help me?

I am wanting to know if its possible to effectively use Nikon 35mm SLR lenses on an Aaton 35mm camera? If so, which one and how?

I have Zeiss Nikon fit lenses as well as plenty of Nikon primes, so am wanting to explore this option.

(PS - I realise the limitations of SLR lenses on such cameras - especially with the short focusing).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Julian

• Premium Member

Does the Aaton camera in question have a PL mount or the older Aaton mount? Don't know if there are Nikon to PL adapters, but there are the old Pentax M42 screw-mount to PL adapters around on eBay. Of course, you need to be very careful when using them and make sure the spinning mirror shutter won't hit the back of the lens before turning the camera on. The mirror is very, very expensive to replace.

The other thing you can do is get in touch with Bernie over at Super16 Inc: http://www.super16inc.com.

He might be willing and able to mod your lens mount to Nikon permanently for a reasonable price. Seems like a nice fellow.

Aaton 35 cannot use the same mount as their 16mm cameras because the mirror takes up more space. Also at the time of the camera's introduction, PL was pretty much the standard.

I believe the Nikon option is not an adapter but an alternate mount. PL must be removed completely and Nikon mount installed in its place.

Best thing is to contact Abel Cine for information.

Jean-Louis