Tripods and the Eclair NPR

Brian Rose

After all the reading I have done about cameras, I would never have figured that tripods themselves could be so complex, multivaried and expensive. I am looking at getting an Eclair NPR, but I will also need a tripod, which leaves me at a loss. Does anyone know what sort of tripod is necessary for the NPR? Is it possible to get a nice basic one for cheap, as opposed to the ones at Visualproducts.com that go for thousands? I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!

Best,

BR

The Eclair NPR weight is aprox. 20lbs.

So any good tripod that will hold over 20lbs is good

Try and get a good fluid head it'll be good for pans and tilts.

Here are some brands to research:

Satchler

Manfrotto

Cartoni

O'Connor

Miller

Panther

Good Luck

Guest Ian Marks

The NPR is an odd shape and sits high on top of its motor. There were some tripod heads made specifically for the NPR which took this into account - you might luck out and find one of these cheap. Of course you can use a regular tripod head too.

I just received my Eclair NPR in the mail a few days ago. This will be my first experience with 16mm, but the second I saw the NPR, I knew I was in love. :P

I never realized how heavy a 20lb. camera would actually be until I tried lifting this thing on my shoulder and walked around with it for a bit. I'm going to need to go to a gym...

Just find a heavy duty tripod. The standard camcorder tripod will be crushed by this thing!

Try the bogen 316 Ultra HD head on a set of 3191 sticks. The set-up is about as light as I would go for a loaded NPR. You can probably get one off ebay for under $1000 if you keep an eye out. I have used this support in the past and have been pleased with the results. It's no O'Connor Ultimate, but for the money it would be hard to beat.

I'm a film student in London and I just got this 16mm Eclair NPR.

I have no idea how to make it work. I read the manual back and forth and still nothing happens except, yes I get a red light when I plug the battery, that's it.

Any idea of how to get this machine to work?

Another question?

What would be the best place in London to get your Eclair checked and maybe converted to S16mm?.

Would 13lb Bogen 501 Fluid head be way to weak for the Eclair?, maybe it would be 'just'OK. Thanks a bunch for a brilliant site...

Forget the 501, it's WAY too small. My NPR weighs in at 30lbs with a full load and all the accessories (and that is with an Arri LW follow focus and Matte box). I wouldn't even consider anything that was rated below 25lbs.

I have no idea how to make it work...I get a red light when I plug the battery...

Another question?

What would be the best place in London to get your Eclair converted to S16mm?.

Well have you charged the battery?

The redlight probably is indicating a low battery output.

If you want to convert your NPR you should check out Les Bosher

http://www.lesbosher.co.uk/

You should really have known how to use the camera before you brought it

And you also should have known a place to get it serviced...

It is important camera buyers know their product before buying it...

Or you might run the risk of getting ripped off.

Eitherways

Good Luck

I got the whole kit for free

Well have you charged the battery?

The redlight probably is indicating a low battery output.

If you want to convert your NPR you should check out Les Bosher

http://www.lesbosher.co.uk/

You should really have known how to use the camera before you brought it

And you also should have known a place to get it serviced...

It is important camera buyers know their product before buying it...

Or you might run the risk of getting ripped off.

Eitherways

Good Luck

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

I have no idea how to make it work. I read the manual back and forth and still nothing happens except, yes I get a red light when I plug the battery, that's it.

Another question?

What would be the best place in London to get your Eclair checked and maybe converted to S16mm?.

Would 13lb Bogen 501 Fluid head be way to weak for the Eclair?, maybe it would be 'just'OK. Thanks a bunch for a brilliant site...

Also the red light sometimes indicates a false pin in the current wich means that maybe u are giving power that has + to minus and opposite.

Dimitrios

• Premium Member
I got a new motor now  :)

Is this tripod good enough for Eclair NPR?: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I am not sure if your eclair has a flat base, I remembered one that I was using that I am not sure if this was a market product or someone's patent.

If you don't have a flat base for eclair Npr, then the tripod u wanna buy won't do your job.

Also for me it looks amateur.

Try something like a sachtler 25 head for a start.

Dimitrios Koukas

I went through this delima about a month ago. I ended up getting an oconnor 50D head and 25L carbon fiber legs. I think the only manfrotto head that would suffice for an NPR would be the 3274. That 116 head in the ebay listing that you mentioned might break with an NPR!

An Oconnor 50 is rated for 50 pounds, and has counterbalance springs, which is a must with an NPR. Just keep an eye on ebay auctions... Just don't get one with the 'pro junior base' which is the really wide base!

Hi

The Ronford F7 head was developed especially for the NPR...because of its wierd centre of gravity problems especially when long lenses are fitted.

They are now top end equipment and very expensive...you may get a very old one second hand.

Look them up on the ronford website.

Cheers

Rob Spence

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I have an old Miller fluid head tripod and I can't mount my Eclair NPR on it because the screw on the tripod is too small. I tried to use a converter but it just broke. I guess I need to change the screw but I don't know how. It seems that I will have to screw the head apart to change the screw but then again the screw is not just a normal screw. Any suggestions what I should do?