Old lights, old globes

Jim Moore

I rescued two Bardwell & McAllisters 750W Fresnel and stands from the trash a few weeks ago and I finally had a chance to set them up. They seem to take a 750w globe, non-halogen, about the size of a projector bulb, around 6" tall. These globes are not made any more, but are there any issues using say, a modern EGR lamp in them? The base and wattage is the same.

I'm assuming they are 750W fresnels due to the bulb that was included, bu they could also be 1K's.

Jim

They look like a small keg? What's the three letter designation on the globes in the fixture? Might seem like an odd idea, but the current owner of B&M would be happy to help you select a modern globe for those fixtures.

If it's the same base and physical size, probably no problem. The center of filament should should be in the same location as the old lamp for proper focus. As I suggested, I'd call B&M.

Likely as not, Asbestos wiring in the fixture, which should be abated before putting it back in service.

Also the gasket that holds the fresnel in place could be asbestos wrapped- depends on how old this light is.

Not nearly as much an issue as the lens does not move, unlike the socket and reflector carriage where asbestos covered wiring would be subject to flexing and shedding of particles.