Eastman Colour Negative 7254 16mm

Rafael Ayuso

Hi,

I have several 400ft rolls of Eastman Colour Negative 7254 for 16mm cameras.
I assume that these have expired but since there is no indication about speed, does anyone know if this stock is for filming or for printing?

It only says is for light of 3200k.

Thanks

Rafael

I found some info.

It is fine grain so definitely is for printing.

Does anyone know if it would work as a camera negative stock? (besides the dynamic ranges etc) What about processing? Will the images able to be fixed during processing?

Thanks again

7254 was a camera neg stock. Introduced in 1968, discontinued in 1977.

What is the perf pitch of the 7254 you have?

2R-2994 or 1R-2994 (short pitch) is typically used in 16mm cameras. Some high speed cameras may need .3000 pitch (long pitch) - check with manufacturer. Also, .3000 pitch is usually used for 16mm prints.

http://www.motion.kodak.com/motion/About/Chronology_Of_Film/1960-1979/index.htm

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/US_plugins_acrobat_en_motion_newsletters_filmEss_11_Film_Specs.pdf

Presently, Kodak offers 5254 (reused the old number) as a digital intermediate stock. 35mm only.

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Lab_And_Post_Production/Intermediate_Films/VISION3_Color_Digital_Intermediate.htm

• Upvote 1

Hello Rafael!

Yes, that is the right pitch for your Arri ST. The 400ft load should fit, if you have the 400ft magazine...

16SB%20amp%2016MB%20Product%20brochure%2

Your 16ST will also accept 1R-2994 perfed film.... 'single perf'.... that is used for Super16 adapted cameras of today.

However, before you use your time to shoot this 7254 film, you should find a lab that can process it. Dirk DeJonghe's caution (above post) is correct, 7254 was ECN-1 process and is not compatible with the current ECN-2 process. Let your lab know what film stock you have before you have them process it.... they might get pissed if you don't tell them how old this film is.

ECN-2 process started with the successor to 7/5254 film, 7/5247 color neg film in 1974.

Charlie

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice and for the info.

Mark, don´t worry, I won´t use it for anything serious, but as a test (I have 4-5 rolls of it) I would be curious to see if anything comes out of it. It won´t be the first time that dated stock still reacts to light, specially if you know that these rolls have been stored properly for those 40 years. Another issue, most difficult to deal with is the lab processing. Maybe I will attempt to hand process it.

I have some other stock in BW though I don´t have the specifications with me right now, I will try to post them to see what is your opinion.

Thank you very much to all of you. Your replies have been damn perfect and informative.