How to build your own fluorescent panels

Hello, i want to know if anybody has ideas for building a fluorescent light panel or maybe can refer to some web site or other source of info.

I am from Argentina and i have a really low budget to buy equipment. Unfortunately there are only a few companies who sell fluorescent panels here and they are very expensive, and buying it overseas and having them send it to you is not very cheap either.

I have an extensive knowledge of electricity and electronics, but not so much in design and i like to start with my own design of a florescent panel by getting some inspiration from someone else design.

Thanks, bye.

I have started converting a couple of industry fluorescent banks. I bought the banks last week (for 50$ each) but I haven´t had the time to start making the mounts for them, paint them or do any wiring. They are fairly lightweight when I removed the original cealingmount from them. I have also bought some cheap daylight balanced tubes (Videssence) to use in the banks. I don´t know the quality of the ballast yet but I guess that I´ll find out in time. I´ll post some more pictures when I´m finished with the lamps. If anyone have any suggestions/recommendations please dont hesitate to post them here.

I think it's a good idea using high frecuency electronic ballasts rather than the usual magnetic ones. They are more expensive but eliminate flicker at any frame rate and also reduce notably armonic distorsion.

Wouldn´t it be a good idea to have a special section in the forum dealing only with homebuilt lamps? That way it would be much easier to find all previous posts in the subject and it would be a good resource for everyone working in film. This would be helpfull not only for the lowbudget shoot but also for bigger productions when something unusual is called for. Many gaffers have their own special homebuilt lamps that they whip out of nowhere or make up on the set from material thats around, it´s theese lamps that often can save the day.

Back to the subject.

Can you recommend any special electronic ballasts, except for expensive Kino-flo a.s.o.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I just went to the local industrial lighting supplier and asked what they had which they knew was high-frequency output. You'll have to find a proper supplier, not just hope that the Home Depot (or B&Q, where I come from) spotty mono-earringed sales staff will have a clue what you're talking about.

I forget exactly what type I ended up with but really you don't need a name, it's a commodity item. Go in, explain what the situation is, and they should go "Oh, OK, I know what you want." Stress that they must be high frequency output, not just "electronic" which can also mean "dimmable" or "instant start" and still not be flicker free.

Oh, go on then, I looked it up:

Linky

Linky's brother

Phil