New Matte Box

I am looking to purchase a new Matte Box for my Arri Amira/Canon 17-120mm camera package. I use the 17-120 for 80% of my jobs but do often use primes if the shoot calls for it. Looking to purchase a matte box that is flexible with different lens. I have used the LMB-25 Arri matte box a bunch of times and don't mind it but wondering if clip-on is the best route or if I should look into something like a Chrosziel MB 415.

Would love to hear some options from DPs or ACs on their favorite matte box of choice.

Thanks,

Marcus Taplin

Hi Marcus

I use a Vocas MB-430 138mm clip on MB with my CN7.. the lens pretty much lives on the camera ! .. as the support mount is right at the front of the CN7 it looked to me that there wouldn't be enough roof real estate for a bars mounted MB.. (although have since been told there are some MB,s that will fit).. thats why I went with the clip on.. and sort of keeps it simple..

As an aside question.. love the CN7.. but its a heavy beast.. I just got an easy rig cinema 3 N500 arm.. due to concerns for my back during long hand held stints .. Im shooting with Sony F5.. I have it well balanced with Zacuto universal shoulder rig.. but even so total weight is just over 10 kg.. how are finding it .. ?

Thanks

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I don't have one yet, but the new Chrosziel MB565 Cine looks terrific, all the features and modularity of the Bright Tangerine and Arri SMB-2, but significantly cheaper.

Personally I find clip-on matteboxes utterly terrifying. I'm never comfortable having $500-$900 worth of glass filters held on by nothing more than half a centimeter and a little bit of friction.