Gold filter or CC

Mihnea Snooker

I've seen in Skyfall two "kinds" of warm light used in different scenes. Some of them look like just regular 3200 source, but other look gold. Do you know if it was used a filter in front of the source (gold tint with tungsten or cts with hmi or any other way) or if it's some post-production work. Judging by the natural looking practicals, I'd say he used filters but I'd like to hear other thoughts.

Those are some examples:

http://img.blu-raydefinition.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Skyfall-BD_05.jpg?1902c1

http://img.blu-raydefinition.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Skyfall-BD_08.jpg?1902c1

• Premium Member

The links still don't work... but Deakins does not shoot with warming filters on the camera. The warmth in his lighting is often a combination of dimming tungstens and/or using gels like CTO's on lights, or bouncing off of gold Rosco pebbled reflector material. Sometimes he will slightly warm up the image by raising the color temp setting on the Alexa but he prefers to do almost everything with lighting.

• Premium Member

My answers still apply, in this case, I think this is mostly from dimming tungsten practical lamps down a little and augmenting with some bounced lighting or other soft tungsten units that are also dimmed down, but maybe also with some light warming gel like 1/4 CTO.

Mihnea,

You might want to go over the Roger's site and ask him. He's very open to questions and giving of his time, just as David is. I have no clue where either of them get the time!

Another thing he does quite often is bounce off unbleached muslin. That has a slight tan color. But most of the posts I've read involve using a dimmer on a tungsten bulb. I bought a sheet of bleached and unbleached muslin at the fabric store very inexpensively just to have in my small quick fix kit. The local rental house doesn't have either available.

Stuart

-------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com